Can't connect after assigning static IP

Get help and insight.
ktyacke
Bot?: No

Can't connect after assigning static IP

Post by ktyacke »

Hey everyone,
I recently upgraded my BCS-462 to firmware 4.1.2. After the upgrade, I decided to try assigning a static IP address, and I think I may have botched things a bit. My home network (Airport Extreme) has a DHCP range of 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.200, and thinking I was following the instruction to assign in a range outside of this, I assigned the BCS-462 an IP of 10.10.10.10 I was able to connect to the BCS using this address for a short while, then it stopped responding.

At this point, the BCS Finder utility locates the BCS at 10.10.10.10 and identifies it's Mac Address, but I cannot connect. Attempting to connect to the IP just spins away and eventually times out. I have tried powering down the unit several times, as well as resetting my router and other network hardware, clearing my cache, and even trying to connect from another computer.

I've done a bunch of digging around and can't seem to find a way to perform a factory reset on the BCS-462, or any other options to get the connection to reset and get me back in. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect after assigning static IP

Post by JonW »

Press and hold the reset button for greater than 10 seconds to do a full reset.

Based on the IP range you're showing, your DHCP is 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.200, which means you need a static address of 10.0.0.201 to 254. The first three numbers should stay the same. Usually the best way to do a static address is in your router and leave the BCS set on DHCP. When your router hands out a DHCP address, you can usually set a reservation so that it will always hand out that same address to the BCS even after a hard reset. This is the preferred way as then the BCS will always come back up with the correct (same) address. If you hard code at the BCS, then a hard reset will clear that and you will have to go into the BCS and set it static again.
ktyacke

Post by ktyacke »

Thank you JonW! I've read multiple threads where this reset button is mentioned, but for the life of me I cannot located any sort of button or small input (pinhole) on the BCS-462 nor can I find an image or documentation saying where it might be. I pulled the BCS out of my case a few hours ago and used a flashlight to really give the unit a thorough inspection and still couldn't find anything.

Could you provide some info on where this button is?

Thanks again for the help!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The reset button is located right behind the power connector. There is a hole in the case where you can insert a (non-metallic) object to press and hold the button. If you have disassembled your BCS, it is possible that it was reassembled without the hole being where the reset button is located.
ktyacke

Post by ktyacke »

Thanks JonW you saved my butt here! For those of you struggling to locate the "reset button" on the BCS-462, it is located on the underside of the case where the mounting rail is found (or at least it was on mine). I missed it several times as it is just a small hole drilled in-line with the mounting bracket rail, so it was a bit hidden.

To reset your BCS to factory settings, gently insert a small (non-metallic) object into the hole until you feel a slight click. Hold the button in for 10 seconds or so, then release. I found a match stick worked perfectly for this. Picture below, hoping this will help others as well!

IMG_1261.jpg
IMG_1261.jpg (235.79 KiB) Viewed 3257 times