BCS Not Connecting Issue

Get help and insight.
mjap52
Bot?: No

BCS Not Connecting Issue

Post by mjap52 »

Hi All,

Today was supposed to be my first brew day on my new EBrewsupply BCS 482 Unit. This morning, I was making some tweaks to the processes/stages, and then realized I had lost connection to the BCS. This happened when I was upstairs making adjustments (nothing to the IP/connection settings) on my computer and not near the BCS unit in the basement.

Hoping for some suggestions in how to regain access. So far my troubleshooting steps have been:

1. Power cycle unit - no response after 5 min.
2. Power cycle router & unit.
3. Check BCS Finder to see if it was assigned a new IP.
4. Check router settings (my BCS address on the router says inactive).
5. Try to ping the unit with the router - 100% packet loss.

Some things to note: the ethernet indicator light on the BCS unit is flashing yellow, which I believe is good.
The lights on the other side of the BCS unit are red. Not sure what that means - I can't really see what the lights refer to due to the layout of the panel.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips?

Thanks!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS Not Connecting Issue

Post by JonW »

You'll need to push and hold the reset button for more than 10 seconds, then power cycle. After that, you'll need to restore from backup as it will be cleared.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

This is typical of a 482 being restored with a 462 backup. I can repeat this and it is an issue. :twisted: The only solution I have found is to build from scratch in a 482.

I tried this many times and when I "tweaked" a Process: Lost Connection and all Red Lights on.

Reset to defaults: Hold Reset Button down 15 seconds (I know 10 is good but 9.99 is not). You may have to do it more than once.

Program the BCS manually without a backup. :ugeek:
elburro

Post by elburro »

Any idea what might be causing this?

Same as mentioned above, my 482 shit the bed last night at 11pm right after i pitched some yeast(fermenter control). I am pretty new to this and didn't have a restore file (my bad) so i had do to the mentioned reset and then rebuild my control logic to get going again.

Hope this is something that can be weeded out of the firmware.

JB
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

:) It happened to me the other day as well. I had a backup. :) I cannot remember what I was doing but it may have been in the Process Editor portion of the UI. I know that it was in the Process Editor portion of the UI when you have restored from a 462 Backup. This time I had built from scratch, but there seems to be an intermittent issue with the BCS 482 going into some loop that turns on ALL the outs and loses connection. :cry: Only solution is RESET using the Button.

If I was making a bet, I would think it may have to do with Out 16 and 17 not being in the 482.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

10/29/2018 11:01 CDT My BCS 482 once again lost connection and all Out were on once again. I was doing some cleaning so some processes were running.

While not immediate, the only thing I had done"out of normal" was that I used the Temp Setpoint Adjustment Page to change setpoints in 3 different States. The BCS 482 did not immediately go to the "All Out On Mode" but maybe 5 minutes later. I did not notice as I had a couple of pumps running. Since it fails to "All Out On Mode" , the pumps continued to run. My first clue is that the BCS Connection was lost.

I cannot be positive, but I think the Process were still running normally when the connection is lost. Only those Outs that were supposed to be asserted were. I did a Power Recycle (Removed the 12 vdc Power) and that is when it went to the "All Out On Mode" when the 12 vdc was back on. I did a 15 second (Yes, I know 10 is good), reset, and it is now back to factory default.

Fortunately I have a good backup.