UI Not Rendering on iPad

Get help and insight.
TheAleMaster
Bot?: No

UI Not Rendering on iPad

Post by TheAleMaster »

I have an old iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.5 for my BCS-460. It worked fine when I was running 4.0.0. But I recently upgraded to 4.1.2 and now some of the UI loads, but most does not and it is unusable (image below - thanks phpbb for the flipped image - this should be properly oriented). This happens with both Chrome and Safari. Any thoughts before I find a newer iPad?

JonW
Site Admin

Re: UI Not Rendering on iPad

Post by JonW »

I have an old iPad in the same situation as you. I also find it not compatible with other sites. It's so painfully slow though that I don't even try to use it for anything anymore.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Yeah I used mine primarily for the BCC, Tilt Hydrometers, and to stream Apple Music. The latter two still work fine and the BCS did until 4.1.2. iOS hasn’t seen an update since 2016, so it is definitely something between 4.0.0 and 4.1.2.

I was hoping someone had an idea for a quick fix so I don’t have to shell out for new iPad. I don’t expect anyone to consume dev cycles trying to fix it.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

There is no fix. Original IPads cannot run up to date OS due to poor memory for operating system. The Old IPads on had 256mb for the OS. The IPad Air 2 has 2gb. The newer updated browser that is with the OS has features that are not supported in older browsers. Both Apple and Microsoft like to force new hardware with upgrades. I just updated the Firmware on my Brother HL-3170CDW printer and it will no longer work with off brand ink. Don't you just love this model of business? :lol:
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Yeah it sucks. It and the subscription models that are everywhere.

When you say "the newer updated browser that is with the OS" are you referring to the BCS software? Because nothing has changed on the iPad for over 2 years.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The breaking changes came with firmware 4.1.0. Newer libraries were used for enhancements to the UI and back-end functions. Brower compatibility is listed in the 4.1.0 release notes: https://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3009