Voltage issues

Get help and insight.
TrickyDick
Bot?: No

Voltage issues

Post by TrickyDick »

Howdy

Been on a homebrewing hiatus since about 2014/early 2015.
Getting back in has been painful.
First batch the temp controller I hadn't inspected and was bad. Operated on a DIY glycol system centered around an BCS 460
I got it partially working, but then it pooped out.
Had to replace AC unit.
Had found low voltage to the DC actuated ball valves that opened when fermentation set point called for cooling.
Replaced the DIN mount PSU
Replaced the wiring harness
Replaced the wiring panel mounted wiring fittings to nice quality XLR type.
Still getting voltage dropping to the point the motors on ball valves do not actuate.
Tested ball valves. They all open and close when connected to 18v (Range 9-24 operating Voltage (DC))

When first built worked like a charm, Circa 2013.
I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel here, just want to get it working again.
I suspect it could be the driver board.
I recall not understanding this item much other than the BCS lacked the current output to directly control the ball valves, and the driver board supplies the additional current, basically small low voltage low current relay board??

OCCSYS 8ch Driver board I think I referred to it in a previous post, is what it is and I cannot find where I bought it and where to buy a replacement or alternative item. Other than replacing this I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe a actual relay board like I used on my electric control panel(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9 ... UTF8&psc=1)? Not sure what the difference is between these two items. Also not sure how I'd mount the latter to my DIN rail....

Any help/suggestions appreciated to help me get the thing working again!
TD
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Voltage issues

Post by JonW »

I've used several different Electronics Salon boards and they work well. They have them mounted in DIN rail brackets as well. Got mine on Ebay, but maybe their Amazon store has them as well (I didn't look).
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Thanks.

I found a DIN rail mounting adapter on amazon for mounting small circuit boards to DIN rails which should work.
Originally bought that relay board for a Arduino project that I never finished.
I can't imagine what else it could be, especially since it had been working fine.
If not that, the only other part would be the BCS itself.
I have a 462 in my ebrew controller panel that could do fermentation control I suppose but that would not control the glycol setup so I'd need to re-wire the probes (again) and run them both. I plug my roaster into the same and only 240 outlet available so it would be unplugged once a week for a couple hours if I needed to do that. Might break down and buy a commerical glycol setup if I can't get it running again.
TD
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Well this is an update.

What a colossal pain in the A@! this has been.

First I replaced the suspected faulty PSU - NOPE its probably FINE!
Second I replaced the wiring harness. NOPE!
Third I replaced the panel/enclosure connections with high quality XLR fittings. TOTAL PITA! - NOPE! Also had to Re wire harness because of new fittings which was also a PITA
Lastly I replaced the "OCC SYS DRIVER BOARD" which I'm not quite sure what it does, amplify voltage, with a relay board. Well this actually DID fix my issue.
Probably spent close to $350 in parts and tools to retrofit the fittings (Needed new hole punch for metal) and all. Probably have about 80 hours into repairing my DIY glycol chiller fermentation controller since taking hiatus for 5+ years. Still have some revisions on the Glycol side planned.

Least its working again, which means... BREW WEEKEND!!

TD