Issues with re-starting BCS, unexpected reset, lost o network

Get help and insight.
mliptack
Bot?: No

Issues with re-starting BCS, unexpected reset, lost o network

Post by mliptack »

Hey Everyone,

Looking back its been about 5 years since my last post. Long story short, I have many successful brew days with the BCS!

Fast forward, I haven't brewed in about 18 months. I moved into a new house, started a new job... life got in the way. Well here I am. I tied into my panel saturday. Saw my BCS fire up in its ol glory. All programs were there any everything.

Yesterday, I installed a network switch and did some cabling clean up in my panel. I fired back up, and my BCS interface looked odd... it took a moment, but then I realized it was wiped clean. Theres no way I hit the reset while doing some cable management.

Today I went to restore my backup from 2016... and the utility couldnt find it. No authentication on. I figured my IP might be goofy so out of despiration I changed it. 192.168.0.999 (afterwards realizing it was out of the subnet mask... whoops). I see it on the BCS finder under 192.168.0.99 but when I try to access it I get an error in Chrome "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT"

I pulled the BCS out of my panel to access the hard restart. Now I see the BCS under 192.168.0.63 but I get the same error. Even if I direct connect to the BCS.

I am at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys - BTW thanks in advance, browsing the forum its great to see such a dedicated team. Furthermore, I didn't know a new model was released. Thats fantastic!

Best regards,
Max
mliptack

Re: Issues with re-starting BCS, unexpected reset, lost o network

Post by mliptack »

Okay - quick update.

I connected a router between my computer and the BCS... success!

I have upgraded to 4.1.2 build (I think). And I have restored to my last backup from 2016 losing a few new processes that I created including my sour mash and whirlpool. But those should be easy to recover.

So what am I missing?!

Here is my network with the switch (this config doesnt work)
Modem -> Linksys Mesh -> TP link unmanged Switch ->
-BCS
-Computer

Here is the config that does work
modem -> linksys mesh -> tp link switch -> router ->
-BCS
-Computer

Again I appreciate the responses!

Cheers everyone!

Max
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Networking issues are always a tough one to figure out. Since it's working when plugged into the router, I'm guessing you have a DHCP issue going on. Again, tough to figure out without knowing how each of the components is configured and which is handing out DHCP addresses.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Thanks for the reply John. I think you may be correct. When I disabled DHCP I lost it on the network again. I get the same timeout error in chrome.

Last night with everything operational I replaced it into my panel, which unfortunately blocks my reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance... time to shut down and go to work :)