Firmware Update help...

Get help and insight.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Firmware Update help...

Post by JonW »

When you're doing the reset for 20 or 30 seconds, are you on the same subnet as the BCS (192.168.0.x) ? If your router is handing out addresses on a 192.168.1.x subnet or some other subnet, you won't see it. You will need to manually change your IP address to match the BCS subnet. e.g. set your computer to 192.168.0.100 or something on 192.168.0.x.

Maybe try the 10 second reset again to see if it will pull and address via DHCP on your subnet.
WolfPlott

Post by WolfPlott »

Thanks for the reply. I was hard wired into the BCS, not going through my router. BCS finder couldn't see it, no matter the reset time I used.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Hardwired or not, you still need to be on the same subnet. What is the IP address assigned to your computer?
WolfPlott

Post by WolfPlott »

When I do ipconfig, I get a Autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169.254.219.181
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

That's it. No other address information.
brahn

Post by brahn »

If you're hardwired like that you'll need to set an IP address on the interface on the computer and make sure it's on the same subnet like JonW said.

If you do the 30s reset it will try to download the firmware from 192.168.0.63, so you need to make sure your computer running the tftp software has that address.

WIth the 20s reset, it's going to set the IP of the BCS to 192.168.63/16, so your PC needs to have a 192.168.x.x address (other than the one used by the BCS) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

With a 10s reset it's going to look for an address over DHCP. If your router supports it, I'd suggest hooking it up to your router and holding the reset button for ~15s just to be safe. You should be able to watch the router and see if it hands out any new IP addresses. It may just be that it pulled a different IP address and therefore you couldn't access it. That's happened to me. I like to set a permanent lease for the mac address of the BCS so the address never changes, but you can deal with that after you get it responding again.

Did you try BCS Finder? That will also help you locate the BCS if it's on your network with a different IP address.
WolfPlott

Post by WolfPlott »

Thanks for the replies. I have tried everything listed above, with no luck. The unit acts dead. I think something happened during the firmware update... a power glitch, communication interrupted, etc... I may need to send it back to see if a re-flash can resolve the issues.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Do the network link lights come on when you connect it to your router or laptop?
WolfPlott

Post by WolfPlott »

No. They are always off. I haven't seen them on since before the firmware update.
MaxOut

Post by MaxOut »

I just installed the update on a new BCS-460 and I can no longer connect to it. Everything went fine during the update and said it was complete but the BCS did not come back up. The ethernet lights flash but unable to view any pages? I tried to do a reset but reset button does not seem to depress? I type the default address into the browser and cannot load pages? Any advise??
brahn

Post by brahn »

My first suggestion would be to try the BCS Finder. When the firmware loads it wipes out the configuration, so it's going to default back to DHCP and may have pulled a different address. BCS Finder will find it if it's on the network.

http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/BCSfinder_Utility

If you need one for a platform other than windows, let me know.