PID outputs cycling 1 sec with every output period.

Get help and insight.
harpo
Bot?: No

PID outputs cycling 1 sec with every output period.

Post by harpo »

I have 2 outputs for my burners. A boil kettle output, and a HLT output. I fist noticed this: When one is being asserted in a process, even if the other one is not in the process it switches on and off as if it were linked somehow to the other output in the same cycle as the output period.

Then I noticed this: If the BCS-462 has no processes going, no manual control on and the all stop has been pushed, both outputs which have PID control setup for them in any process (the boil kettle and the HLT) cycle on and off for 1 second every output period. If the Output Period is set at 30 seconds, they cycle on and off for 1 second every 30 seconds. Change the output period and they do it for that time. My two pumps which have only direct control do not cycle. Suggestions on what I did wrong and what to change?

Also, I looked and looked, but my alarm has never made a sound, except for once. Then I almost couldn't turn it off until I refreshed. Any help getting my alarm to actually sound on a consistent basis? (I know the workaround to turn it off.)
ECC

Re: PID outputs cycling 1 sec with every output period.

Post by ECC »

The output problem sounds very strange. Can you post your config file, or email it to me? Try power cycling the BCS, and then using the Main Control page to manually turn the outputs on/off. Are the outs still linked?

The alarm plays an mp3, using your browser. The mp3 is set by the "Path to Alarm Sound" in the System Settings page, defaultng to "/alarm_clock.mp3". To test your browser's mp3 capabilities, just enter the path to the mp3 directly into the url bar. If it doesn't play directly, there maybe some type of plugin issue. For example:
http://192.168.0.192/alarm_clock.mp3
harpo

Post by harpo »

I hope I uploaded the config file correctly. If not, just let me know how to and I'll do it.

The alarm clock did not work when I typed in alarm_clock.mp3 after the url number of my BCS. I am using Firefox. It gave me a screen with a quicktime player icon with a question mark inside it. Maybe a browser issue? Checking in Safari. It works in Safari.
Attachments
bcs_proc3.cfg
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
bcs_proc2.cfg
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
bcs_proc.cfg
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
harpo

Post by harpo »

Okay. I tried the alarm clock again in Firefox and Safari this morning and while it played once in Firefox it did not play again in Firefox nor did it play again in Safari.

I also left the BCS on overnight and this morning it was doing the same thing. Cycling the PID output every output. Which happens to be every 30 seconds currently.
harpo

Post by harpo »

Also another question. Since the PID switching thing has happened, I have been turning off the main power in my box which also turns off the BCS. The BCS is connected via a Lynksys router acting as a bridge. When i power on the main box power, which in turn turns on the BCS, at least two times the BCS shows that one of the outputs is on. One time it was a burner and the other time it started a pump running.
ECC

Post by ECC »

I'm not able to reproduce the output cycling problem by loading your config files. But the output linking really sounds like a hardware problem. If you send it back I can take a look. I'll PM you the details.

I think the power off problem is related to this issue: http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... f=10&t=334
This will be fixed in the next firmware update.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Is it possible that you have some Ladder Logic that is messing with your processes? Can you post your System Settings config file? This will include the Ladder Logic as well as other non-process system settings. Its at the bottom of the System Save table.
harpo

Post by harpo »

Here is my system settings file. Hope it helps.
Attachments
bcs_sys.cfg
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Chefkeith80

Post by Chefkeith80 »

I think I'm experiencing the very same problem. I noticed that my pump is momentarily fired on a pretty regular basis - even in the All Stop mode. After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if my elements are firing as well!

Please, does anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks!
Attachments
bcs_sys.cfg.cfg
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yes, this has been fixed in firmware v3.3.