BCS 460 Ipad Problems

Get help and insight.
Chefkeith80
Bot?: No

BCS 460 Ipad Problems

Post by Chefkeith80 »

When I log into the BCS 460 with my Ipad via Mobile Safari, it does not display the graduated temperature dials. The dials are blank, although they do display the correct temperature (the needle is in the correct position). This is true for Atomic Browser for Ipad as well.

Is there some protocol or plugin that Ipad doesn't support? My Ipad is jailbroken, so I have the ability to install some workarounds if necessary.

Also, on my laptop, the regular version of Safari (5.0.3) emits screen flashes every second and has random black marks near the edges, it's virtually unusable.

Chrome doesn't seem to have this problem, but the alarm does not work for the time being.

I understand that there will always be some bugs and glitches, but this is kind of ridiculous for a nearly $200 product.

If anyone can provide any information, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Note: I'm using the latest firmware for the BCS-460
Chefkeith80

Re: BCS 460 Ipad Problems

Post by Chefkeith80 »

I just realized that the gauges are done with Java; not supported by Ipad. Awesome.

Looks like I'll have to find some other workaround.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The gauges are JavaScript, not Java. They work just fine on my iPhone Safari browser.

As a work-around, maybe click the [+] multiple times to scroll through each thermometer setting to get to the text only thermometers.

Also try FireFox on your laptop and see how it is.
Chefkeith80

Post by Chefkeith80 »

Thanks! I guess I don't need all the fancy animation anyway ;-)
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, the gauges are all written in javascript with html5. I've noticed, as you have, that the gauges do not display properly in the iOS safari. I see the same thing on my ipod touch, and iphone. The BCS code is html5 compliant, however html5 is still very new and quite advanced. It is my hope that Apple will fix this problem in the future, as everything is moving toward this technology. This is in fact the reason that we included the minimalistic temperature table display option (without gauges), access by cycling through the [+] button.

Another option would be to purchase the Brewbuddy app from the app store. This is a 3rd party app, but I believe it also works on the iPad. If you're unsatisfied, by all means please send me a PM and we can setup a return. We're not in this to take people's hard earned money, just trying to offer a product that customers can find useful.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Hmmm... So why are the gauges working fine on my iPhone?
Gauges 1-4 are not hooked up - scroll to 5-8.
iPhone 4 w/ iOS 4.2.1
BCS_IPHONE.PNG
BCS_IPHONE.PNG (196.56 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
Chefkeith80

Post by Chefkeith80 »

If you're unsatisfied, by all means please send me a PM and we can setup a return. We're not in this to take people's hard earned money, just trying to offer a product that customers can find useful.
I appreciate the customer service here; the quick replies have been great! I'm not actually a dissatisfied customer, and I wouldn't return the product even if I was. I believe in the project and want to support it, though sometimes technology is buggy. It's an awesome product, and I was just frustrated when I posted earlier.

I just tried it on my iPhone and it worked fine, so I'm convinced that when I update my iPad it will work as well. Thanks so much! I should have done more research before posting here. You guys have been great!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Just FYI - I decided to give the IE 9 beta another try and it is working just fine with the BCS and gauges. Previously, IE8 did not work properly.
Chefkeith80

Post by Chefkeith80 »

I just updated my iPad and everything is AOK!
MeLoveBeer

Post by MeLoveBeer »

Chefkeith80 wrote:I just updated my iPad and everything is AOK!
Good to hear... have been monitoring this one closely as I plan on using an ipad for brew day.