BCS-462 not connecting to network

Get help and insight.
brewdude
Bot?: No

BCS-462 not connecting to network

Post by brewdude »

I am having trouble with my BCS-462.

I can't get it on the network reliably.

It was working just fine, then when I hadn't connected it in a week or so, I tried today it's not connecting.

At first I was able to connect with a browser, but after a couple minutes, it would lose connection.

Now I can't get it to connect at all.

When I connect it to a router, most of the time it doesn't show a network device plugged into that port (the lights are out).

Sometimes, I do get a connection on the port, but only rarely.

The amber and green lights on the BCS light up sometimes, but other times when I plug it in, they don't light up.

When I connect it directly to computer, I get "Network Cable unplugged" most of the time. The amber and green lights on the BCS are on, and blink about once every 7 seconds or so.

Sometimes, it does say a network is connected, but the BCS Finder Doesn't find it. My computer does set it self to 169.254.x.x when it does see the cable is plugged in, but I still can't find the BCS.

I have Tried :

Hard Reset for 15 seconds.

Hard Rest for 25 seconds.

Hard Reset for 35 seconds.

But I can't get it to work anymore. :(
ECC

Re: BCS-462 not connecting to network

Post by ECC »

I'll send a PM
csimental

Post by csimental »

I am having this problem, too, but with a BCS-460. It had been connected to my router for months with no problems, then all of a sudden it was not visible on the network, and when I tried reconnecting it did nothing, even though the ethernet lights were on. Tried connecting directly to my computer too and it just kept saying "network cable unplugged." I really do not want to have to reset this thing. I spent a lot of time getting my settings right and it would really suck to have to figure that all out again.
ECC

Post by ECC »

More info please.
When it was connected to the router:
  1. What firmware revision are you using?
  2. What was the IP address that you used before that worked?
  3. Are you using a static IP address, or default DHCP?
  4. Did you try the BCS Finder utility?
When directly connected to your computer
  1. Have you connected directly to this computer before?
  2. If not, have you tried these instructions?
  3. Sometimes an 'ipconfig /renew' on a command line will update stubborn direct connects, particularly if you don't want to power cycle the BCS.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but its always a good idea to save off your configuration files. You can do this by going to the System Settings page and going to the System Save/Restore section. You can save all of your settings to text file that can be reloaded later.
csimental

Post by csimental »

Thanks. I upgraded to the latest firmware about 2 months ago. I went through a series of 4-5 upgrades. I do not recall which firmware I ended up with, but it's pretty recent, and the BCS was working with no problems after that.
I configured the BCS to a static IP address a couple of years ago when I first bought it. It has been happy at 192.168.1.69 since then, until now.
I did notice that in the last year or so, the BCS would occasionally disconnect and not respond at that IP address. Doing a power cycle resolved it, although sometimes I had to power cycle a couple of times for it to show up.
Tried the BCS Finder utility many time sand no action. Since the BCS is seemingly not connecting I don't know how the BCS Finder would ever find it.
I can see on my router that there is no activity when the BCS is powered on. Each port on the router has a light that shows traffic and the BCS now does not show any traffic, whereas before it used to.

When I directly connected to the computer (first time with this computer) I followed the instructions to a T. It never connected in about 30+ power cycles except for ONE time, which was only for about 20 seconds, then it faded away. There wasn't enough time for me to do anything. When directly "connected", ipconfig / renew does not work because the ethernet port says the cable is disconnected. Without a connection to the BCS none of those steps work.

My conclusion is that for some reason the BCS is no longer reaching out to the network. It seems to power up happily because the two lights on the back are on, but it is not sending/receiving traffic through the network port as far as I can tell.

I have tried the first two hard resets as of now and still nothing--no router action and no direct connect action.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Ok, I'd be happy to take a look at it, I'll PM you the details.

I don't think that this applies to you as you've since done a hard reset, but a clarification for anyone else: When direct connecting, the BCS uses the IP address in the "Static IP Address". By default it is 169.254.0.63, which is what the direct connect instructions reference. If you have changed that value due to using a static IP (dhcp enable unchecked), the new IP address is what you use for direct connect.
nnbrewing

Post by nnbrewing »

Maybe i missed it but, was there a resolution for this issue? Mine will will do this after being plugged into a router for a while and there is power surge or it gets unplugged. It cannot find address when plugged back in (on network or direct), only way to get back into it (that i found) is to reset, then it works fine. wap54g set up with dhcp
ChuckO2999

Post by ChuckO2999 »

I'm having the same problem with a BCS-460 loosing connection to the network. It runs fine for a few hours and then starts to show "BCS not connected" with a retry time and failure count. It then connects again for a short time but does it again. After a few times it shows "BCS connected" but with a refresh to the browser all temperatures go to zero, the program being monitored becomes Process 0 - Undefined, and the name of the brewery reverts to the default or to "NaN bcs460". The BCS finder program does not find the controller even though the port lights are active on both the BCS and the router.

The controller still works as far as the outputs go as I have a test program that turns an output on and off with a timer and it still works. Don't know about the temperature inputs though.

Hope you can shed some light on the problem.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

nnbrewing wrote:Maybe i missed it but, was there a resolution for this issue? Mine will will do this after being plugged into a router for a while and there is power surge or it gets unplugged. It cannot find address when plugged back in (on network or direct), only way to get back into it (that i found) is to reset, then it works fine. wap54g set up with dhcp
Did you resolve this issue? It sounds like a network DHCP related issue. Do you have a dedicated IP number for your BCS460 or is it assigning one via DHCP each time you connect your BCS460 to the network?
ECC

Post by ECC »

ChuckO2999 wrote: Hope you can shed some light on the problem.
ChuckO2999, can you give a little more info? Specifically, when you say it connects again (after dropping off), is that due to a power cycle, or it just spuriously reconnects? What is your connection setup (wireless/wired-to-router/direct-connect)?
ECC wrote: When it was connected to the router:
  1. What firmware revision are you using?
  2. What was the IP address that you used before that worked?
  3. Are you using a static IP address, or default DHCP?
  4. Did you try the BCS Finder utility?
When directly connected to your computer
  1. Have you connected directly to this computer before?
  2. If not, have you tried these instructions?
  3. Sometimes an 'ipconfig /renew' on a command line will update stubborn direct connects, particularly if you don't want to power cycle the BCS.