Data Logger Bug and Feature Request

Get help and insight.
clegg
Bot?: No

Data Logger Bug and Feature Request

Post by clegg »

In addition to the Min Y bug referenced in other threads, i believe I found another bug last night:

When working in the "Data Stored on BCS" mode, if you increase scale > 256 it causes an issue when you click to apply the settings. For example, if you try to set the max y to 500, it changes it to 244 after you click apply. Confirmed that it occurs on both axis, but only in the BCS stored data. Dynamic works correctly.

I also have two suggestions:

1. When you click to save a data logger file, it shows the file with a csv extension. However, when you click and download the file it loses the file extension and file type, making it impossible to double click to open. Is it possible to keep the file name and .csv extension the same as shown in the BCS window? Then it will be easier to open the file.

2. Can you help me understand the significant digits stored in the temperature data? In the main window the temperature probes read to one decimal point. However, in the data logger window and file download, they are rounded to 1 degree. What drives this? Is it possible to keep the data after the decimal place? It would help me with troubleshooting some noise I am seeing. On a related question, how many significant digits are in the definitions of temperature control set points / differentials? Does the BCS know the difference between 72.5 +- 2.5 F and 73 +- 3 F?
rcrabb22

Re: Data Logger Bug and Feature Request

Post by rcrabb22 »

I have done some experimentation and found if you save a Log file from BCS file logging to a csv file the data points are rounded to whole numbers but if you save Dynamic log output the data points have 1 decimal precision. I would like to see the BCS file logging stop rounding the values or at least make them consistent.

BTW - when you right click the file to download name, use the option "save link as" and then you can save the file with any name and extension you like. I'm sure you knew that but just in case...... :)
clegg

Post by clegg »

Cool, thanks. Would like to see the stored data download without the rounding in both modes but this work around will do for now.
rcrabb22 wrote:I have done some experimentation and found if you save a Log file from BCS file logging to a csv file the data points are rounded to whole numbers but if you save Dynamic log output the data points have 1 decimal precision. I would like to see the BCS file logging stop rounding the values or at least make them consistent.
Yup, am aware but it is an extra step. Would love to just be able to click on the file and have it open directly instead of erroring out.
rcrabb22 wrote:BTW - when you right click the file to download name, use the option "save link as" and then you can save the file with any name and extension you like. I'm sure you knew that but just in case...... :)
ECC

Post by ECC »

1) Yeah, that's annoying. noted.
2) Data stored internal to the BCS is limited by memory space. That's why its rounded. Four values (traces) can only be stored as 0-255, which is not coincidentally the size that can be stored in a single byte of data. If we included decimals, you would get 0-25.5, not very usable. Some users have requested the ability to only log 2 signals and get better precision. But we feel that could be confusing, and also mess up all of the formatting on the datalog page. So we decided to introduce Dynamic Updates, where all of the data can be stored locally on the client computer. This way there is no size limitation, all 4 traces can be logged to 0.1deg. And, if you want to log more than 4 signals, simply open more data log windows. I hope that this new feature gives users access to the data that they need. Different users can request conflicting features, but we try to come up with features that work for everyone. I realize this hasn't been updated in the documentation, docs seem to lag new feature introduction by a few months.

To answer your other question, internally the BCS always uses one decimal place. This is true with setpoints, differentials, etc... The only numbers that are more precise are some of the temperature coefficients and PID parameters. You can find all of this defined in the Open Interface API spec if interested in more details.
clegg

Post by clegg »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, this makes sense. I've been able to capture the data with the decimal place by saving from the dynamic update as suggested. Meets my needs.

On a related note, I'm quite impressed with the robust data communication. I've had multiple data logger windows open from multiple PC's and it doesn't miss a beat recording the data. Well done.