Connection Issue Post v3.4 install BCS-460

Get help and insight.
BigIronBrewer
Bot?: No

Connection Issue Post v3.4 install BCS-460

Post by BigIronBrewer »

I used TFTP server on Mac to install v3.4. Now I am having connection issues. I have followed all the troubleshooting on the wiki, and here is where I am at.

Direct connect to the BCS

I turned off the WiFi off
Disabled DHCP
Manually configured to 169.254.0.61, 255.255.255.0

Powered down the BCS, powered back on
Yellow and green lights on
entered 169.254.0.63 in the address

Nothing. I have tried cycling power and such, but still no luck

Any ideas?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Connection Issue Post v3.4 install BCS-460

Post by JonW »

Did you typo in your message? It says you entered .61 in the BCS and .63 in your browser.
BigIronBrewer

Post by BigIronBrewer »

Yes, I used .61 for the computer IP address on the same subnet. The BCS is .63
I don't think i am misunderstanding the directions in the wiki, quite possible however!
ECC

Post by ECC »

Your steps sound correct. If the green/yellow lights are on, the BCS is booting and active on the network.

Did you use direct connect with the BCS pre-update? A common misconception is that connecting directly is easier than connecting it to a router. There are many more things that can go wrong with a direct connect setup (from the PC config side). So if you can connect it to the router and run the BCSfinder utility, that's the preferred method.

That being said, your description sounds valid. The only thing that I can think to suggest is to do an ipconfig /renew (not sure the equivalent on mac, ifconfig?), which makes sure that your Ethernet settings are in sync.

Also, it might be a good idea to do a hard reset of the BCS, just in case some of the settings were corrupted. It shouldn't matter, but what was the previous version of firmware?
BigIronBrewer

Post by BigIronBrewer »

Well, I'm back! It's been a while since I attempted to do another firmware update since my last attempt. Turns out, I never got the firmware update to take.
I have been following numerous posts regarding update issues. Making sure I am following the correct procedures. After all accounts, I think I am. After the first failed attempt, I completed a hard reset to at least get the unit up and running again. I attempted to do another firmware update. Here is where I stand:

I am running Mac. I connected direct to the laptop. I used TFTP Server. The BCS 460 is firmware version 3.1. I have the IP address of the laptop set Manual to 169.254.0.61. I downloaded the latest BCS460.bin file in its own folder, and routed the FTP file config to the correct folder. The TFTP Server shows the host laptop IP of 169.254.0.61 as expected. In the Firmware Update on the settings page, I ensured that the correct IP address is listed prior to clicking ok. I see no indication of the FTP occurring. After attempting to connect to the BCS after the firmware update attempt, I can't access the BCS unless I manually power down the BCS.

How long does the transfer take? Do I need to do anything to the file prior to attempting to do the firmware update? Will you see an indication of transfer on the TFPT Server program? Like a few people, I simply can't get the file to transfer.

I may need to ship it to you, to see if you can help me out. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It sounds to me that the BCS unit isn't able to communicate to the laptop.
Are you sure that the TFTP server can properly accept requests?
Is the TFTP server listening on port 69? Is anything else already listening on port 69?
Is there antivirus or a firewall that may be blocking access to port 69?

The transfer itself should take less than a minute.
BigIronBrewer

Post by BigIronBrewer »

Jon.....YOU DA MAN!!!!

It was my firewall. Thanks! I was at a complete loss. I'm having an oak aged Yeti Clone in your honor.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Good to hear!