Erratic/bouncing Temps - Brown out?

Get help and insight.
mycarr
Bot?: No

Erratic/bouncing Temps - Brown out?

Post by mycarr »

Over the weekend I had my maiden voyage on my herms system. I hooked up the BCS and when I started checking the temps they were all over the place. They bounced all over with jumps up to 10 degrees. Later I hooked it back up for fermentation and had the same results.
I have had the BCS working great (very stable and accurate) for probably the last 6 months for my fermentation and have not had any problems.
A couple things I tried to isolate the problem-
*eliminated all electrical equipment that could be causing interference
*unhooked all other ins-outs and left only one temp probe.
*Tried different elec. circuits
*tried hard resets (10-20 & 20-30 sec)
Nothing changed the outcome...

A couple of weeks ago I had a brownout that lasted sometime. I did have some other electronics that fried. is it possible/probable that it also affectected my BCS?

I have the BCS460 with likely 3.1 or 3.2 firmware
I use 3 temp probes from ECC
What are my options here?
Thank you much, Mike
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Erratic/bouncing Temps - Brown out?

Post by JonW »

Did you attach/detach any temp probes while the BCS unit was powered up? I've found that I get very erratic results when I hot-connect temp probes. A power cycle (NOT software reboot) always seemed to correct the issue for me.
mycarr

Post by mycarr »

Thanks for your input JonW.
I do not beleive that I did connect / disconnect while powered on but...
Also I had powered down and back on a couple time with the same results.
Could you describe what would happened when you did this? Did it bounce all over? on all temps or only the one "Hot Connected"?
I am really hoping that it just needs a Re-Flash or something and that it is not a permanent hardware problem.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I was seeing multiple ones bounce when I had hot-connected them. I'm also seeing it a little right now on my fermenter, but I think I know why on that. I recently remoted the fermenter to the opposite side of my garage and used about 35' of wire to extend the tem probe. I used some alarm wire that I had laying around and it is not twisted like CAT-5 cable. I think running it that far without using twisted pair is causing it to pick up some noise. This only affects the single temp probe that is on the long run.
ECC

Post by ECC »

If other electronics were fried, the BCS could have been affected as well. I'll PM you details on getting it checked out.
mycarr

Post by mycarr »

Problem solved thanks to the great technical support @ ECC.
Turns out the power supply suffered damage in the Brown-Out which was the cause of the erratic temp fluctuations.

From shipping it to them for an expert look-over the problem was quickly isolated and the fix ended up very cheap!Only a new power supply.
Again many thanks for the great support of a great product. Prompt support + fast shipping = Happy Customer.
Can't wait to fire the HERMS back up with the BCS in proper order!
-Cheers-