Bouncing Temp Probe

Get help and insight.
alowell
Bot?: No

Bouncing Temp Probe

Post by alowell »

Just in the last 3 weeks, I have been having trouble with 1 of my 4 temperature probes. I am getting drastic temperature fluctuations, up to a 40 degree swing. I double checked all connections into the BCS and the grounds. Still having issues. Any chance one of these probes can go bad?

The data log of the swing is attached

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Andrew
Attachments
FluctuatingProbe.JPG
FluctuatingProbe.JPG (69.33 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
ECC

Re: Bouncing Temp Probe

Post by ECC »

Did you purchase the probes from us?

Have you tried swapping the probe to a different temperature input?

If its on a long run, have you tried connecting it directly to the BCS via a short wire?

Strange that it is just now showing errors. Double check that its not something easy, like a recent typo in the coefficients.. Its not unheard of for a probe to 'go bad', if it somehow receives a big shock or jolt or something. But themistors usually very resilient, one of the many benefits of this type of probe.
alowell

Post by alowell »

I purchased the probe from Derrin at Brewer's Hardware. I'll have to swap the probe to another input this week, I didn't get a chance to after brewing. That's a good idea. Then we can ascertain if it is the input or the probe.

The probe is on a fairly long run of about 5 feet, but two other probes are longer than that and behaving correctly. The coefficients are correct and are the standard ones that were provided.

Next step, swapping the probe into another input.

I'll keep you posted.

Andrew
alowell

Post by alowell »

So, it looks like it is a bad probe. Here is a snapshot of me swapping the probe from the Mash Tun (bad one) to the HLT. The same probe gives funky results even in another input. Is this common?
Attachments
Here is the snapshot of me switching the probe.
Here is the snapshot of me switching the probe.
probeswitch.JPG (149.42 KiB) Viewed 2839 times