Updating Firmware

Get help and insight.
timweber
Bot?: No

Updating Firmware

Post by timweber »

I seem to be having a lot of trouble updating the firmware. I've read this http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... g_Firmware dozens of times now but I must just be missing something. I currently have BCS-460 v2.1 loaded. I have the BCS plugged into the laptop. I downloaded HS TFTP 1.3.2 and have "Current Directory For All File Transfers" set to the desktop. I leave this application open. On the desktop I have the bcs460.bin file. I go to system settings, click firmware update mode and type in my IPv4 IP address and then press ok. Nothing seems to happen. I do not see the HF TFTP application loading anything. I walked away and came back after 20 minutes. Nothing. When I try to reload the page it fails, unless I reset the power.

What am I missing? Does the firmware update just take a very long time?
todd

Re: Updating Firmware

Post by todd »

Did you install the TFTP demo? It's listed on the link in your post? Once you have all the correct info on that it won't take long at all. Todd
timweber

Post by timweber »

Yes. I have the TFTP demo installed. I believe the application is called HS TFTP 1.3.2. As I mentioned I believe I have the correct directory set and I am running it while clicking the update firmware version.

After clicking Update Firmware, entering the computer's IP address, and pressing OK is there any indication that the firmware is being updated? There seems to be no change other than if I press reload on the browser it cant locate the BCS unless I reset the BSC's power.
mr_tyreman

Post by mr_tyreman »

I've been pulling my hair out all morning trying to get mine to update, turned out all i had to do was put the bcs460.bin file in a folder all on its own, i had it saved in a folder with other config files and stuff, but soon as i made it have a folder all on its own it transferred no problem :)
ECC

Post by ECC »

So if you have the BCS plugged into your laptop (direct connect), is the IP address that you enter start with 169.254....etc?

This has confused many people. Your laptop running the tftp updater actually has many IP address, in fact one per ethernet adapter. If your laptop has a wireless adapter and a LAN adapter, it will have two. So make sure to enter the IP address into the BCS dialog box that corresponds with the connection. The BCS popup dialog box should also give these instructions.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Make sure you don't have a VPN client running on the PC, it will use that address to listen for TFTP requests.. I hit this a lot

(SolarWinds free FTP shows the current IP address in the bottom of the window, along with the TFTP directory, and if you do File-Configure, it shows the directory contents in the window.)