BCS not connecting on one computer

Get help and insight.
csimental
Bot?: No

BCS not connecting on one computer

Post by csimental »

Hello. I recently had issues with my BCS (old model with the metal shavings issue) and you all fixed it for me. After the fix, it works fine, but for some reason I cannot connect to it on one of my computers. I can connect with my laptop, and my smartphone, but when I type in the IP address on my desktop computer it says it can't be found. A ping test came back with the response "destination host unreachable". I've turned off all firewalls and virus protection and still can't connect.

Everything is going through the same router so I don't understand why the desktop would not be able to connect. Also, the desktop is able to connect to other devices on the network simply by typing in the IP address in the browser address bar, but no go for the BCS.

Any direction you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS not connecting on one computer

Post by JonW »

What are the ip addresses & subnet of the various computers and the BCS? Are they all getting DHCP addresses from your router or are any of them static (fixed) IP addresses?
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

from a command prompt, ipconfig (Start --> Run --> cmd <enter> --> ipconfig <enter> )

how many adapters are there? (look for VPN adapter, etc...) do you have VPN? make sure it is off..

I doubt this is the issue,since you can ping other things, but should not see 169.254.x.x (indicates could not get address)

Look at your address and your default gateway address.. the gateway should be the same as a working PC

can you ping your default gateway address?

try pinging your broadcast address (if your address is 192.168.1.x, your broadcast is 192.168.1.255) and then type the command "arp -a" (without the quotes) look in this output for the IP you know the BCS is or for the MAC-Address that is printed on it..

let us know what you come up with...
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

Connecting the BCS directly to a PC I can access it just fine. Plugging the BCS into the router I can see it using arp -a
Pinging the BCS's address gives the error Destination Host Unreachable

HELP!
cscade

Post by cscade »

1. When you direct connect to the computer, what is the IP address of the BCS according to arp -a?
2. When you connect the BCS to your router, what is the BCS IP address according to arp -a?

At steps 1 & 2 above what is the IP address of your computer, at each step? If you can connect to the BCS when directly connected, and not when connected through the router, the problem is network configuration.