System Restore failing to connect

Get help and insight.
BeerHog
Bot?: No

System Restore failing to connect

Post by BeerHog »

Is there an issue with the System Restore function on version 3.4.5? I had to do a hard reset when the BCS crashed in the middle of my mash yesterday and now I can't get my saved files to load. When I try to load a file it states "BCS NOT Connected" and continues to try to connect over and over again without success. If I change the page to Main Control or reload System Settings, it connects immediately. Files were saved after my last Firmware update on 10/26/11 so it is the same version. What am I doing wrong?
BeerHog

Re: System Restore failing to connect

Post by BeerHog »

I just figured it out. It appears to be a bug with how the files are saved in v3.4.5. I thought I would try to load an older version (v3.2) and it worked just fine. When I compared the two .CFG files I found that v3.4.5 had created extra spaces or an entire line at the beginning of the file and a weird name "------WebKitFo". I removed the spaces and renamed the correct version and it loaded without the connection issue. There is still an issue with the System Settings file, probably an extra comma somewhere.

Hopefully it doesn't continue to need additional hard resets going forward. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do with processes failing? I seem to have about a 50% chance of at least one process failing during a brew session. Most of the time I can just turn it off and on and start the process over. Yesterday, I had to do a hard reset.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

My system runs 24x7 controlling two kegerators and my fermenter. On brew days, I'll change temps & times in some processes based on the recipe and then go the whole brew day without issue. I never reset my unit unless I'm doing a firmware upgrade or messing with network settings. I can't even remember the last time I had to do a reset that wasn't associated with an upgrade. I use Proc0 to Proc5 for my brew days and Proc7 runs 24x7 for refrigeration.

Is it possibe that there's electrical interference that is causing the issue? Are you using an igniter system? Any high voltage wires being run along with low voltage wires?
BeerHog

Post by BeerHog »

It is possible that there is electrical interference from an electric ignition unit. I'm using the Honeywell Y8610U for my HLT. However, the actual unit itself is 10 feet from the control box that houses the BCS. I do however have the 24v transformer housed in the control box and the transformer is controlled by a Crouzet 10 Amp SSR. I wanted to rule out the SSR as the issue since it appears to occur when both the SSRs kick in for the pump and ignition module. I just looked up the specs and it shows the DC control is only 10mA, so it should not be the SSRs unless they start to draw more amps when they start to fail. I use RCA cable to run the 24v to the Honeywell module. The RCA connection on the control box is right next to a CAT5 connection that are connected to a float switch and temp probes.

I thought I had resolved the problems last summer when I installed a fan in the control box. It seemed like I had more failures when it was hot outside (100+). The 24v transformer does have some heat coming off of it so I figured that was the issue. The unit worked great for about 5 or so sessions. Then it started acting up again and has failed around every other brew session since. It generally fails on my sparge process where I have a float in the mash tun that kicks on the pump when it is triggered after a 30 second timer (timer is to reduce cycling of the pump). I'm not sure, but it seems to fail when both SSRs kick on at the same time during this cycle. Friday it failed during the Mash process when the unit had only been on around 20 minutes and it was 40F outside. The only other thing I thought might have caused it this time is that I used the Brewbuddy app to change the temp. I generally don't use the app much anymore since it seems to act up as well.

I am planning on rebuilding the control box this week to incorporate some displays, so any suggestions on how to rewire the Honeywell unit so it does not fail would be greatly appreciated.
ECC

Post by ECC »

We've had a few other reports of Brewbuddy acting up. The "Webkit" inserted into the config file is really strange. Once that happens, all bets are off since the BCS config is corrupted. That really points to some interface mishap (probably the Brewbuddy app, or the interaction between Brewbuddy and the BCS).

I would recommend running w/o Brewbuddy and see if you still have issues.