Bot?: No

Re: 4-20mA and RTD support

Post by FullWindsor »

Anything???
FullWindsor

Post by FullWindsor »

So it's been almost half a year... How's this progressing? Is it dead?
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

it is dead, they announced the 482 with no real new capability... unless you count moving pins around and a faster processor, but given what was available, faster cpu was mandatory, not a choice... so right now, looks like my choices are Red Lion or Raspberry Pi and PWM-voltage converters.. truly a shame...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That's what you took away from the 482 specs? It was specifically designed for expandability. Just because the first module isn't 4-20mA support doesn't mean it's not going to happen. We have to first release what most people are looking for and going to use. We fully agree that 4-20mA support is worthwhile to do, but it's not built in because that would drive the cost up for users who don't need it and it's not the first expansion board we are doing because it's also not what most users are asking for.

No real new capability? You mean like USB flashing, high current outputs, LED OUT status indicators, built in alarm, daughter-board and I2C expansion ports? The BCS-482, while initially running very much like the 462, has very different capabilities.
RandR+

Post by RandR+ »

Ditto to Jon's comments, I don't need 4-20mA support but the new features are very nice and usefully for a new build, just not sure its worth upgrading since I have a working 462 system.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I got one of the *FIRST* BCS-462's for valentines day 2011 and I was a BCS fanboy for over 5 years... I hope you can take my concerns seriously...

How does one see LED out status indicators when properly mounted in a box?
- better would have been to have made external i2C displays that fit a PID 45mmx45mm hole... everyone with a PID system would LOVE that

Can we use anything other than thermistors?
- RTD or one_wire are not rocket science...

The built in alarm inside of a nema 4x control panel is how loud outside the box?

Are the hardware PWM abilities still neutered?
with 12v and 500hz pwm, we could convert to analog output... I have the tiny circuit board on the bench waiting for you to turn on PWM faster than 1-2Hz

Can it read a Tilt hydrometer over bluetooth?
not beign mean, but a $10 PiZeroW can do it....

Hell, does it even have reliable WiFi built in? it should come with reliable wifi and and a threaded antenna jack...

Can it make logs that are actually readable as what happened on a date and time?

Can it sync to an NTP server and show real time?

Do you still have to go to utilities on a webserver to calibrate and such? Nothing screams 'this will be a useless brick in 10 years' like not being truly standalone...