Advanced Hysteresis Parameters in The System Settings

Things to come.
MaxOut
Bot?: No

Advanced Hysteresis Parameters in The System Settings

Post by MaxOut »

I am having some issues where when I’m cooling my fermenters using hysteresis control. The temp will bounce in and out of range by a tenth of a degree causing the compressor to short cycle and is accelerating it's demise. I would like an adjustable setting that would set a minimum amount of time between outputs when using hysteresis control. If there is not a programming solution I may have to add a pulse stretcher and interrupt relay output. Most do not need quick a response on cool and heat outputs used in fermentation or when using a gas fired gas controls. If there is all ready something i'm missing I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks
SamIam

Re: Advanced Hysteresis Parameters in The System Settings

Post by SamIam »

I'm not 100% certain but I think the Output Period setting can help with reducing your cycle time. For my fermenter it is set to 3 which I believe is the default setting.
cscade

Post by cscade »

You can tweak this like SamIAm mentioned with the ouput period (only in PID mode), but it will be hard to setup and frankly a pain to tune.

Personally, I use hysteresis mode with a 1ºF swing, for my fermenter cooling, and have not experienced anything like what you are mentioning except with a defective or poorly grounded probe. You should not be experiencing short cycling with 0.1ºF swings, only swings > your hysteresis swing setting. What is your swing set at? Check here on the settings page:
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 7.33.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 7.33.26 PM.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
Note that the screenshot is of a 4ºF swing, but I use 1ºF on my fermentor cool process.
cscade

Post by cscade »

As an afterthought, and you likely already know this, but PID mode is not the same as Hysteresis mode. PID is for short-cycle processes (like heating elements) and Hysteresis is for long cycle processes (like pumps and compressors).