More temp probe associated outputs

Things to come.
bmc2
Bot?: No

More temp probe associated outputs

Post by bmc2 »

Is there any way to get more outputs associated with temperature probes? I'm running 3 conical fermenters and a glycol chiller off a BCS and the total limit of 6 temp probe associated outputs is pretty restrictive.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: More temp probe associated outputs

Post by JonW »

Unfortunately, 6 is the limit. However, there is a bit of a work around. You can use logic within process/state exit conditions based on the other two temp probes. Using this, you could use a couple of states to toggle your chilling by setting temperature values as the exit conditions.
brahn

Post by brahn »

We're working on this for the next version of the BCS firmware, but that's still several months away from release. Until then, JonW's suggestion is the best way to handle this.
bmc2

Post by bmc2 »

The problem I have is that I need two outputs per conical (1 to heat, 1 to chill) for 3 conicals and 2 outputs for the glycol. So, a grand total of 8 outputs. The expansion card is pretty much useless as the outputs are either on or off 100% of the time, and can't be associated with ladder logic or a temp probe.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Why not use the normal 6 temp associated outputs for the conicals and then do process/state logic as I previously mentioned for the two glycol ones?
brahn

Post by brahn »

I agree with JonW, this solution should work fine. You can do exactly the same thing the hysteresis control does with two states in a process, one to turn on the output and one to not turn it on based on the temperature.
gyropilot1

Post by gyropilot1 »

I have to admit I still need to read more and understand the ladder logic and the rest of the programing. My problem is similar. Due to the max power I can pull from my main AC is around 150 amps. I am planning to run 4 resistors on each of my 145 gal tank, also use some propane to help speed up the process and reduce power consumption. I have wired the mht with ,out 0, out 1 ,out 6 and out 7 The hlt I have it with out 2,3 and out 8 ,9. My plan is to activate all mht outs at the same time and half way in the process activate out 3 and 4. The rule is to never have more than 6 rest on. I have not run any test yet. Then base on the time to reach 150 I will togle to turn off out 6,7 and on out 8,9. I wish I can had 1 temp probe control 4 resistor but I decided to see if with duty cycle and timers I can play with it.

Chuck P