7 segment display boards

Things to come.
ssgross
Bot?: No

7 segment display boards

Post by ssgross »

Is there any reason why one cannot use the 7-segment display boards to show a timer? right now the options only allow current temp and set temp. i'm guessing it shouldn't be that much work to change the options to allow timers, or even hide set point and show two temps per display.
the only hangup would be if the bcs is just passing the raw signal from the probes to the display, and punting on the processing to the display.
I know nothing of the details of all this. anyone with more expertise please chime in.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: 7 segment display boards

Post by JonW »

It's all a matter of firmware coding. The current firmware is designed to allow temp & setpoint display, nothing more.
ssgross

Post by ssgross »

is it an issue for the bcs or the display board? or both?
crane

Post by crane »

It is not an issue with the display board as brewtroller allows you to display temperature, volume or timer values with it.

I would like to see this feature. It would also be nice to be able to control both top and bottom sections of the 7-seg display independently. For example, one of my 7-seg displays is used to monitor my chiller temperature so there is never a setpoint associated with it. I would like to be able to use that display to monitor the chiller temp on the top and timer values on the bottom.

My control panel uses a push button to advance to next steps, and I have an external alarm and push button to reset the alarm with the reg10 feature. I am able to run completely autonomously without the need of an external computer, but if I do want to know a timer value I have to walk inside and pull up the web interface.
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

I haven't purchased my BCS yet, but a feature I think would be neat for use with the 7 segment display would be to display which step of your process the system is on (if a source comes up to replace them, since it seems oscsys doesn't carry them anymore...) That way you could tell at a glance that you're on stage 1 - heat your strike water, for instance. You press a button and the number changes to 2 - maintain dough-in temp, etc. Really wouldn't need more than 2 digits for this function, of course (I can't imagine having more than 99 stages in a brew day!!) In addition to the temperature and timer displays, this would almost completely eliminate the need to touch a computer during the brew session, right? Of course, you would have to know your process well enough to know what each stage number indicates, or have a cheat sheet on hand, but it seems like a trivial thing to implement to someone who isn't a programmer :lol:
nnbrewing

Post by nnbrewing »

Is there any chance the timer display code has been added the 4.0 firmware as of yet ?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

nnbrewing wrote:Is there any chance the timer display code has been added the 4.0 firmware as of yet ?
No, it has not.