Interlock Feature

Things to come.
ohio-ed
Bot?: No

Interlock Feature

Post by ohio-ed »

How about a new feature that would allow you to setup output interlocks?

For instance; I plan to have 3 heat elements and 2 pumps on the outputs. In my case, my panel will not have the current capacity to run all outputs at the same time. I don't plan to "program" more than 2 elements at any given time. But, with the output override buttons, or a slight mistake in the programing it is possible for all 3 to fire at the same time. I plan to add a a selector switch into my panel to interlock two of the elements. The problem is that if I switch an element at the panel, the BCS will not know the element is no longer available (I plan to disconnect the bcs output from one element or the other).
So how about an option in the BCS setup, that will allow you to make outputs mutually exclusive? Ideally, if you attempt to turn on an output that has been interlocked via clicking the output button or through a state exit condition you would be prompted to override the interlock, switch the output, or cancel the request.

Ed
gbrewer

Re: Interlock Feature

Post by gbrewer »

Could you explain this a bit more? Perhaps in how you would use this in your brewing session? It sounds like this would be adding more to the manual side of the BCS instead of the automated side. I am also interested in what why you would want to do this. I am always interested in reading what other brewers have crafted!
jmdenmark

Post by jmdenmark »

A fail safe like this to prevent an accidental circuit overload makes sense but it seems like it would still come down to programming correctly .v. having a circuit(s) with enough capacity to handle all the loads or the physical switch interlock you described.

Another application of this feature though would be for fermentation chambers where you have a chilling circuit and a heating circuit and never want to run the two simultaneously. Setting this up as an interlock (i.e. Out0 can't be on if Out1 is on) would also help although I still keep coming back to if you have to program the setting anyway, let the state machine handle it.

Further discussion warranted...
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

In the perfect world... in system setup you could specify the current requirement of each output AND the capacity of your supply. The BCS would then prevent you from executing a process that would exceed your capacity.
So even if you deal with the issue in your state programming, then without thinking, Click an additional Output, the BCS would warn you.

It should not happen that I NEED to run my 5500 watt HLT at the same time as my 5500 watt BK, but if I accidently turned one on, a warning would be nice before the breaker reminds me.

I have attached the design I am planning... Switch S1 provides the interlock I am talking about.

Ed
Attachments
Visio-Panel v4.5.pdf
(19.35 KiB) Downloaded 460 times