Data logging

Things to come.
SpokaneBrewer
Bot?: No

Data logging

Post by SpokaneBrewer »

It would be nice if data logging would log to the nearest one tenth of a degree rather than the nearest degree. As most brewers would want this for fermentation logging, it could be for temps under 99.9 F to keep bytes logged minimized.
brahn

Re: Data logging

Post by brahn »

This is something we can look into.

I've been wondering about common uses of data logging. What frequency do you use? How long do you typically want to log data for? How many temperatures do you want to monitor?
SpokaneBrewer

Post by SpokaneBrewer »

I'd like to be able to save a representative log of actual fermentation profile target and actual temperature achieved over a course of at least 2-3 weeks for at least two channels at a good enough precision and resolution to avoid the digital choppiness that exists now. It would be nice to be able to choose how many channels to log at a time and therefore affect the resolution capability to log for a given sampling frequency (for example, one channel at one minute intervals would require same memory as 4 channels at 4 minute intervals). Further data could be saved by having a header line that lists the date and time the data logged started and the interval and then the data could just be logged and analyzed in excel accordingly (more time or tighter resolution could be achieved). Anyway, just ideas. Love the BCS!
brahn

Post by brahn »

Thanks for the input! That will be helpful as we look at the data logging going forward.
dodecaphonix

Post by dodecaphonix »

+1 for what SpokaneBrewer said. I use my BCS462 to control fermentation temps for 3 x 2bbl fermenters and log temps for my: 3 fermenters, glycol, and ambient room. One more trace would let me log all 5 at once. Even more traces for logging the out on my heat exchanger, my mash temps, etc. would be nice as well. Also, I'd like to be able to chose the color of the traces. Also, when my BCS462 loses power it erases the data log. I take screenshots from my computer so that I can back up the data. Is there a workaround for this? Maybe, software that could automatically sign into the BCS and log it...?
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 11.09.06 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 11.09.06 AM.png (120.36 KiB) Viewed 7216 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I don't recall seeing anyone that has made any logging software for the BCS, but it wouldn't bee too difficult. All the data is there in a single structure that could be fetched as often as you wanted. You could log it to a text file, SQL database, etc. Just need someone to write the code.
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

Check out 'Cscade's' HomeBrew Log- I've been running it for a year or so and it's excellent. Has the added benefit of being able to load in files of all types to a database that stores the BCS log data. You can load in beersmith files or even pics. The look of the interface is pretty sweet.

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... 1794#p5208
kgearhardt

Post by kgearhardt »

+1 on SpokaneBrewer's feature request. I just logged in to request exactly the same thing for monitoring my fermentation temperatures. Thanks! Kevin
kgearhardt

Post by kgearhardt »

Well for what it's worth here's some VB code that will collect temperature data from a BCS-46x controller and save it to a .csv file. It requires the directory c:\bcs46x on your PC's hard drive. I have a PC at home and at work that runs this program every 5 minutes via Task Scheduler to log the data. The only line of code that's user specific for functionality is the URL definition:

Dim bcsURL As String = "http://your.website.com/"

I compiled this in Visual Studio 2013. Each record is saved with a date and time field so you'll be able to pull temperature data from any input and any time range. If you happen to have the .csv file open when the program runs you'll just miss a data point in the file.

NOTE: This code is setup to work with just a BCS-460 which is what I have, so to read from a -462 just take this block of code:

myTemp = myArray(6) / 10
sw.WriteLine(myTemp.ToString("0.0") & ",")
If myDebug Then
Console.WriteLine(myTemp.ToString("0.0"))
End If

And copy/paste to add myArray(x) for x = 7 through 10.

Enjoy if you wish!

Kevin

bcs460_temp_logger.txt
VB Code for BCS-46x Temperature Logger
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Here's a sample of my data recorded over the past 5 weeks or so - just recording air in the basement...
Attachments
bcs46x_temp.zip
Sample Data
(47.73 KiB) Downloaded 338 times