Idea for Alert/Alarm/Popup Features

Things to come.
sjlammer
Bot?: No

Idea for Alert/Alarm/Popup Features

Post by sjlammer »

Adam,

Im going to apologize upfront... now that thePol is using the BCS, and I am digging in a little deeper, get ready for some serious requests!!! :D

On my last brewday, i forgot to add whirlfloc and start my CFC at the 15 minute mark. While i was programming an elaborate brewday program last night i had the following ideas.

1) It would be pretty sweet to be able to set a specific alarm for a given state change. For example: I write a boil program that changes states every fifteen minutes. At the end of a state, it prompt the computer to play a specific sound file stored on the computer.

State0: BK on 100%
Exit: temp = Boiling
Alarm: Play file "/60 Minute Hop Addition"

State 1: BK on 75%
Exit: time = 15min
Alarm: Play file "/45 Minute Hop Addition"

State 2: BK on 75%
Alarm: Play file "/30 Minute Hop Addition"

State 3: BK on 75%
Alarm: Play file "/15 Minute Hop Addition"
Alarm: Play file "/Sanitize CFC"
Alarm: Play file "/Add Whirlifloc"

My other idea was to have a state change trigger a popup window with a message:

State 3: BK on 75%
Popup: "ADD 15 minute hops, hook up CFC, add Whirlifloc"

Do you think either of these would be possible in the next firmware update?
sjlammer

Re: Idea for Alert/Alarm/Popup Features

Post by sjlammer »

Ok... maybe it wasn't such a good idea :?
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

This forum is not HBT... looks like some questions go without being answered. Also, the traffic is pretty light, so not a lot of people see your question.

I agree, I'd like to see more options for alarms.

Ed
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

It's not a bad idea, however for me it would take more time changing the parameters for each recipe then it does to set my timer to remind me when to add ingredients. I guess if you brew the same recipes over and over then it would be more beneficial.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I would be for different options for alarms as long as it did not impact speed or performance of the device. I also agree that different recipes call for different alarms. I would not be interested in changing them for different recipes and do not brew the same beer very often.

Some of the standards that are the same such as Whirlfloc would be nice.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Alarms sound on state change... it would be nice to be able to specify the alarm sound in the state as opposed to a single alarm setup.
sjlammer

Post by sjlammer »

I was thinking that i would just have an alarm for standard additions. So i would have an alarm every fifteen minutes for hop additions. If i didnt have a 45 minute addition, i would just click through the alarm.
ECC

Post by ECC »

The url of the alarm that is entered in the System Settings page is a little different from other settings of the BCS: instead of storing it on the device itself, its stored as a browser cookie on your computer.. So it wouldn't be too tough to make separate cookies per state (with the default being the one on the System Settings page). The caveat here is that if you log into your BCS from a different computer, you'll get the default mp3.. But I think that's a decent tradeoff.

This should be a fairly straight forward addition.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

So this thread got me thinking about actually using the alarm and I tested my system today. No alarm at all sounded. With the default alarm shouldn't it just go by itself. I had it set to loop and nothing happens.

On a Mac if that makes any difference.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

BCS Portland wrote:So this thread got me thinking about actually using the alarm and I tested my system today. No alarm at all sounded. With the default alarm shouldn't it just go by itself. I had it set to loop and nothing happens.

On a Mac if that makes any difference.

I had to find a MP3 file that could be reference by a URL (I found one on the internet), and then put that URL in the BCS. You can't just enter "c:\alarm.mp3" for instance. Seemed more difficult and limiting that I thought it should be.