checksums for configuration files

Things to come.
crane
Bot?: No

checksums for configuration files

Post by crane »

My BCS somehow reset itself yesterday when I turned on my control panel to start my brew day. I was able to recover somewhat quickly by reloading all of my saved setup configuration and process files. However, I had problems loading the last process, which I am pretty sure was due to the fact that the file was corrupted when I originally saved it from the BCS. When I tried to upload this process config file the name of the process showed up as "mBoundarybofBoA0" instead of "Clean". Also when I went to the edit process page the everything was blank except for the name of the first step which was "jnvBYZIk" instead of "MT Clean Rise". The other peculiar thing I noticed is that after loading this corrupted file the "Current firmware version is" field in the setup page showed "-------WebKitFo" instead of the usual "BCS-460 3.7.1". I was able to work around this by manually programming that 1 process again and downloading the configuration again. I then uploaded it right away to make sure it wasn't corrupt.

It would be nice if the controller would give you a checksum or md5sum that you could use to verify that the downloaded file was not corrupted.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: checksums for configuration files

Post by JonW »

The 4.0 versions use a new file format (JSON) and while there isn't a checksum, the import features do very extensive validations instead of blindly importing the data.
crane

Re: checksums for configuration files

Post by crane »

That's all nice and gravy, but it wouldn't have helped in my situation where the file was corrupted during the export process and the BCS somehow lost all configuration information upon turning on my control panel. Maybe the next release can add a checksum when you export a config file or offer a feature to compare an existing config file to the current configuration.