Future plans on adding PWM to future expansion cards?

Things to come.
BrewBeemer
Bot?: No

Future plans on adding PWM to future expansion cards?

Post by BrewBeemer »

In the future are there any plans in making the expansion cards with a PWM control as an added feature in the future? Just asking not to be a PITA with questions. Made as an easy added card upgrade if this becomes true one would hope. Thanks. Carl.
ECC

Re: Future plans on adding PWM to future expansion cards?

Post by ECC »

The expansion cards are only on/off control. PWM control requires more CPU horsepower. In the future, the only way that I can see having more PWM control would be to link two BCS's together, perhaps in some sort of 'Slave Mode'...
BrewBeemer

Post by BrewBeemer »

ECC wrote:The expansion cards are only on/off control. PWM control requires more CPU horsepower. In the future, the only way that I can see having more PWM control would be to link two BCS's together, perhaps in some sort of 'Slave Mode'...
I do understand the cards are for on and off control I was just thinking if you had any PWM additions planned for the future up your sleeve vs linking two 460 units together. This would add up in dollars
rather quickly vs the cost of your cards only For now I can handle adding switches to transfer PWM signals with temp probes when needed no biggie. Thanks Adam. Have a great weekend.
BrewBeemer

Post by BrewBeemer »

ECC wrote:The expansion cards are only on/off control. PWM control requires more CPU horsepower. In the future, the only way that I can see having more PWM control would be to link two BCS's together, perhaps in some sort of 'Slave Mode'...
Run this by you Adam and tell me if it would work?
As You already know i'll have two 5.5KW elements on 240 VAC each in all three keggles for a total of 11KW of heating, for the HLT, MLT and BK.
Could I start off right away with 11KW of heating until I hit within a couple of degrees in the HLT with direct on/off control off an expansion card, then have the same expansion card go to the next state and apply 11KW to the MLT until near my strike temp then shut down? Then use the PWM feature of two outputs on the BCS unit only for each seperate single 5.5KW element in the HLT and MLT to come up to the final couple degrees and maintain the temps in both keggles by PWM control?
When ready to heat the full BK use the expansion card again as a on /off control again until near boiling temp then have it switch to the BCS unit with PWM control to handle only one 5.5KW element in the BK or if needed have it programed to run both 5.5KW elements at the same time still with the PWM control feature off the BCS unit thruout the boil?
Is this possible or do I have to first run all the above mentioned steps thru the BCS unit instead of using the switching on / off feature from the expansion cards? This would free up the other two PWM control signals from the main BCS unit for other uses be it for a fermenter heater or what desires me. What's your take on this idea, will it work? A slow learning curve here.
Thanks Adam. Carl.
Last edited by BrewBeemer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yes, that will work.