Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1

Post by gyropilot1 »

ok did my upgarde with a great help from oakbarn. now to play with it
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Where do you save (and reload) Processes and Configuration? It used to be under System Settings but I have not found it. I used this to load different Mash Profiles and Hop Profiles. We brew the same beers over and over again and that was the way we did it.
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

Use the utilities--> http://embeddedcc.github.io/bcs-backup/
Super quick and easy to save ALL the processes in one shot...
The recipe mapping is a total game changer too. Once you get the variables mapped out its as simple as changing a few numbers for your recipe. Changes are instantaneous too! No fuddling with 'apply' anymore.
The only thing I'm trying to work out, which I haven't spent any time on yet is setting up timers for hop additions. Anyone out there have suggestions? Not only do times change but the number of additions change too. Being it's the boil a simple method would be to just use an external (or Beersmiths timer).
crane

Post by crane »

brewstarke wrote:Use the utilities--> http://embeddedcc.github.io/bcs-backup/
Super quick and easy to save ALL the processes in one shot...
The recipe mapping is a total game changer too. Once you get the variables mapped out its as simple as changing a few numbers for your recipe. Changes are instantaneous too! No fuddling with 'apply' anymore.
The only thing I'm trying to work out, which I haven't spent any time on yet is setting up timers for hop additions. Anyone out there have suggestions? Not only do times change but the number of additions change too. Being it's the boil a simple method would be to just use an external (or Beersmiths timer).
I'm also interested to see how others have setup hop addition timers. So far I just set a timer for 60/90 minutes for the entire boil and set a separate timer on my phone for hop additions.

I am dissapointed that manual mode is gone. I use all 8 processes for brew day and that works fine. However, I also use my mash tun and RIMS tube for sous vide cooking, where I use manual mode to set a temp and walk away for several hours. I guess I can create a whole second configuration file with one process and one state, but that seems rather excessive to just use the device as a simple temp controller.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

crane wrote:I'm also interested to see how others have setup hop addition timers. So far I just set a timer for 60/90 minutes for the entire boil and set a separate timer on my phone for hop additions.
Take a look at the sample screens shots from this thread: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2365

I use a separate process to handle hop additions. When I start the boil timer in the boil process, it automatically spawns the hop additions process and the hop timers run in sync with the boil timer. Each hop addition shows you the time remaining until the next addition and sounds an alarm when the addition is needed.

There is a to-do item for adding this type of hop addition configuration to the recipe utility.
ksl177

Post by ksl177 »

Hey Jon,
Would you be willing to post how you've constructed your process for the hop additions?

Your demo unit is in need of a reset, and well, I can't seem to find a good "how to" for this.

Thanks! :D
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

ksl177 wrote:Hey Jon,
Would you be willing to post how you've constructed your process for the hop additions?

Your demo unit is in need of a reset, and well, I can't seem to find a good "how to" for this.

Thanks! :D
I have reset the demo unit at http://demo.embeddedcc.com/index.html and I have loaded up most of my config on there.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I forgot to mention in the announcement that the old BCS Finder no longer works in 4.0. In order to make the finder work for Mac and Linux users we needed to switch to a different port number. There are Mac and Windows versions available for download from my Dropbox. We'll be moving this to more permanent hosting solution once the final firmware is released:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qbof24to99y4 ... SXLGOFoNOa

Windows users, just like with the old version you will most likely need to disable any firewall software that is running on your system before using the BCS Finder.

Linux users, you can download the source and run the application directly from the command line, or package it up for your preferred flavor of Linux. Source is available here: https://github.com/lawn-chair/bcs-finder
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Average Temp0 and Temp1, place in Temp0 CheckBoxs under the Misc Menu. Are they not available in 4.0 or where do I find them.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

This list may be in error as I may not have found where something is:

BCS 4.0

Things that I found “gone” or improved in Version 4.0. This is not a complaint or wishing they were back as I did not like the Apply Button, for example. It is just what I have found so far.Mistakes are possible as I am a "newbie".

1. No connect/disconnect Green/Red Radio buttons to let you know if you are still connected.
2. Apply Button gone. Your input is saved once you exit the field without any action on your part. If you made an error, you simply correct it. The ESC button does not work in this case as it does in some other programs.
3. Refresh Button is gone. See 2 above. The change is automatic.
4. Manual Mode is gone but the same functionality is there, just need to re learn the steps to do it.
5. “[+] HMI Builder” is gone. HMI is not available but coming.
6. Digi16 Boards are not supported yet.
7. Out 6 and Out 7 are PWM on the BCS 462.
8. External PID Displays are renamed LEDs and you can now have all 8 Temperature Probes (BCS 462) displayed in LEDs.
9. If you change a Label, that is how you select it. For example, if you rename “Temp Probe 0” to “MLT”, you would always see “MLT” and there is no reference to Temp Probe 0 anywhere except on the Settings form.
10. For the most part, the F⁰ or C⁰ labels are gone.
11. “[+]Configuration File Save/Restore” are gone locally. You must have an Internet Connection to Back Up or Restore. The file format has also changed. You should still not use commas in your labels, however.
12. You are now able to migrate you Version 3.x back ups to the BCS using the On Line Tool.
13. There is a Recipe Utility Online.
14. There is a PID Tuning Utility Online.
15. Temperature Calibration is gone locally. There is a Temperature Tuner Online.
16. “[+]Miscellaneous System Settings” sub menu is gone. Most of the items are still available elsewhere.
a. Enable Authentication (Password Protection) CheckBox moved and renamed “Require Authentication “ under a new sub menu “Authentication” on the “Settings” Menu.
b. “Proc0 Force Run at Powerup” to “Proc7 Force Run at Powerup” renamed and moved to Process Editor as a Checkbox named “Run on Startup” on each Process.
c. “Manual Mode Force Run at Powerup” gone. Manual Mode no longer available.
d. “Disable Processes when entering Manual Mode ” gone. Manual Mode no longer available.
e. “Celsius Mode” Checkbox moved new sub menu to “General Settings” on the “Settings” Menu.
f. 50% PID Mode (Backward Compatibility) is gone
g. Active Outputs in Main Control Green CheckBox gone. Green is automatic.
h. Active Outputs in Main Control Red CheckBox gone. Green is automatic.
i. Force Alarm to Reg10 Checkbox moved and renamed “Alarm To Register 10 “ under a new sub menu “General Settings” on the “Settings” Menu.
j. “Email notification on Alarm CheckBox” moved and renamed “Send email on Alarm “on the “Process Editor” Menu. It is specific to a State and no longer a global setting. I assume the same PORT 25 issues remain.
k. “Average Temp0 and Temp1, place in Temp0 CheckBox” gone.
l. Use LED style temperature display CheckBox moved to a DropDown List Box on the Main Control Panel and not labeled but has the selection displayed (Compact Style, Dial Style {Default} , LED Style).
m. Path to Alarm Sound. Default is '/alarm_clock.mp3' Data Input box gone. Looks like is '/alarm_clock.mp3' is all the alarm you can have.
n. “Header Text, System Name” Data Input Box moved and renamed “Name “ under a new sub menu “Device Settings & Info”on the “Settings” Menu.
o. “E Mail Address for Alerts” Data Input Box moved and renamed “E Mail Address “ under a new sub menu “General Settings” on the “Settings” Menu.
17. “[+] Communication Settings” sub Menu renamed “Networking” under the “Settings” Menu. A little different with a new built in Safe Guard to keep you from entering an IP Address by accident.
18. [+] Expand All and [-] Collaspe All gone on Menus.
19. “[+]System Inputs and Outputs” Menu has been divided on the “Settings” menu into:
a. Temperature Probes
b. Discrete Inputs
c. Outputs
They generally are the same as 3.7.1
20. “[+] PID and Hysteresis Output Control Settings” has been renamed “PID Settings”. Generally the same as 3.7.1 but with the Out 6 and Out 7 added for the BCS 462.
21. “[+] Password Update” renamed “Authentication” on the “Settings” Menu.