BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1

Post by brahn »

That's quite a list, and I think there are still a few things you missed. :)

I wanted to point out that this is not exactly accurate:
oakbarn wrote: 11. “[+]Configuration File Save/Restore” are gone locally. You must have an Internet Connection to Back Up or Restore. The file format has also changed. You should still not use commas in your labels, however.
You do not need an internet connection to back up or restore. All the logic for the utilities (at least the ones I wrote, I can't speak for bbrally's coefficient calculator) runs locally in the browser using javascript. No data is transmitted over the internet. You could save these files locally and use them without an internet connection. I would recommend using them over the internet when possible as you will be using the latest versions with any bug fixes and enhancements, but it is not strictly necessary.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

How do you download the Utilities? It it a github thing that I need to look into?
astephon88

Post by astephon88 »

a few notes on the recipe editor:

-If I try to set the url of the bcs in the recipe tab, before setting it elsewhere, it does not take. I can set it in backup/restore or Config Migrator first and it will carry over (Using IE11. using chrome is just buggy all around)
-If you create variables and save, then go back and delete all variables, it appears to retain a "ghost" variable. Then, it appears that if I make changes to a process referenced by that variable, it causes the entire recipe function to stop working. In my specific case, I deleted all variables, then changed a state name and it caused the recipe editor to no longer respond. I had to clear all the locally cached data for the BCS Utility page
-It would be nice to share a single variable among several targets. i.e. I have one state that heats to a given temperature, exits when it gets to that temperature, and moves to a state that maintains that temp via PID. I would like to define one variable that populates state 1 set point, state 1 exit condition, and state 2 set point. The utility allows me to create several variables with the same name, but only applies the first one
-Doesn't currently appear to be usable for ramp mode parameters
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

astephon88 wrote:a few notes on the recipe editor:

-If I try to set the url of the bcs in the recipe tab, before setting it elsewhere, it does not take. I can set it in backup/restore or Config Migrator first and it will carry over (Using IE11. using chrome is just buggy all around)
-If you create variables and save, then go back and delete all variables, it appears to retain a "ghost" variable. Then, it appears that if I make changes to a process referenced by that variable, it causes the entire recipe function to stop working. In my specific case, I deleted all variables, then changed a state name and it caused the recipe editor to no longer respond. I had to clear all the locally cached data for the BCS Utility page
-It would be nice to share a single variable among several targets. i.e. I have one state that heats to a given temperature, exits when it gets to that temperature, and moves to a state that maintains that temp via PID. I would like to define one variable that populates state 1 set point, state 1 exit condition, and state 2 set point. The utility allows me to create several variables with the same name, but only applies the first one
The variables can be done the way you are asking. Please review this post regarding variables: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2554

Chrome should usually be the most compatible browser as that is what the BCS is developed and tested on.
astephon88

Post by astephon88 »

JonW wrote:
astephon88 wrote:a few notes on the recipe editor:

The variables can be done the way you are asking. Please review this post regarding variables: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2554

Chrome should usually be the most compatible browser as that is what the BCS is developed and tested on.

Ok, I blew all variables away, cleared all caches, etc, and it looks like the variable sharing is working now. excellent. I also appear to have chrome working. sorry about that confusion. Any idea on ability to use variables in ramp mode? I saw earlier that implementing variables for "hop addition" processes is in the works, so I would assume this would probably be along the same lines, but I was just curious if it's on the radar. Kind of a deal breaker for the recipe editor at this point as I would have to go in and edit the ramp mode parameters manually anyway
brahn

Post by brahn »

The primary focus for the recipe editor is on setting up a BCS for a brew day where there are a number of variables that change each batch. I couldn't think of any reason to use ramp mode on brew day. I don't see any reason that it couldn't be added.
brahn

Post by brahn »

oakbarn wrote:How do you download the Utilities? It it a github thing that I need to look into?
Most browsers will save all the associated resources when you save the page. I haven't really tried it with the utilities specifically, but I'd think it would work. There are other options, but that would be the simplest.
astephon88

Post by astephon88 »

brahn wrote:The primary focus for the recipe editor is on setting up a BCS for a brew day where there are a number of variables that change each batch. I couldn't think of any reason to use ramp mode on brew day. I don't see any reason that it couldn't be added.
I use ramp mode when ramping from dough in and protein rest to conversion rest and conversion rest to mash out so that I don't trash the PID variables when changing the set point and introducing a huge error (I thought that was the point of ramp mode in the first place...) If my dough in/protein rest or conversion temps change, I'm going to need to change the ramp start and end temperature and ramp time.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I can't say what the purpose was originally, but my understanding of ramp mode is that it's primarily used for fermentation to allow you to ramp the temperature up/down slowly over hours/days.

I would think that when going from step to step in a step mash you would want the error to start out large so you get to the destination temp as quickly as possible. The PID will slow it down as it gets closer to the destination.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I used the Temp Averaging. I have a probe on the inlet of the MLT and one one the Outlet of the MLT. Wort flows out to a HERMS and I use an Average of the In and Out. Would like to see it back