BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1

Things to come.
astephon88
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1

Post by astephon88 »

brahn wrote:I can't say what the purpose was originally, but my understanding of ramp mode is that it's primarily used for fermentation to allow you to ramp the temperature up/down slowly over hours/days.

I would think that when going from step to step in a step mash you would want the error to start out large so you get to the destination temp as quickly as possible. The PID will slow it down as it gets closer to the destination.
Creating a large instantaneous jump in set point will cause the integral term to accumulate an extremely large value, resulting in a significant overshoot when the temperature reaches the setpoint. This could be avoided by disabling the integral term during ramp, but as far as I know, there's no method to change PID coefficients on the fly. In can also be alleviated by using the max and min integral parameters in the BCS, but again, these can't be changed on the fly, so changing these could potentially affect performance at steady-state.

Also, it's a very bad idea to reach destination temp "as quickly as possible" when mashing as this could easily denature the enzymes in the mash. I typically run my ramps around 2 degrees/minute.
ksl177

Post by ksl177 »

Creating a large instantaneous jump in set point will cause the integral term to accumulate an extremely large value, resulting in a significant overshoot when the temperature reaches the setpoint. This could be avoided by disabling the integral term during ramp, but as far as I know, there's no method to change PID coefficients on the fly. In can also be alleviated by using the max and min integral parameters in the BCS, but again, these can't be changed on the fly, so changing these could potentially affect performance at steady-state.

Also, it's a very bad idea to reach destination temp "as quickly as possible" when mashing as this could easily denature the enzymes in the mash. I typically run my ramps around 2 degrees/minute.
I can see how that would be an issue with a smaller system, or a RIMS system. Generally speaking, these are non-issues on my 2bbl HERMS system. Even direct heating the mash tun, the best I'll get is about 3 degrees/minute due to thermal mass in both the MT and HLT. Overshooting is also in the same category.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Is Ladder Logic still under construction in Ver 4.0 Public Beta. I can't seem to add wires and things like before. I have tried selecting and clicking, drag and drop but cannot fill my rungs like I want.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:Is Ladder Logic still under construction in Ver 4.0 Public Beta. I can't seem to add wires and things like before. I have tried selecting and clicking, drag and drop but cannot fill my rungs like I want.
There are no issues with ladder logic - it is working fine. It is simply drag and drop from the toolbox on the right side. Most of us that have been beta testing for a while have used it extensively.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

JonW wrote:
oakbarn wrote:Is Ladder Logic still under construction in Ver 4.0 Public Beta. I can't seem to add wires and things like before. I have tried selecting and clicking, drag and drop but cannot fill my rungs like I want.
There are no issues with ladder logic - it is working fine. It is simply drag and drop from the toolbox on the right side. Most of us that have been beta testing for a while have used it extensively.

I rebooted my computer and did a power cycle on the BCS and now I can drag and drop. Not sure what was wrong, but Step Number 1 is always REBOOT.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Datalog Setting Menu _5 rollovber.png
Datalog Setting Menu _5 rollovber.png (36.89 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
What does the Rollover Checkbox do under the Datalog=> Datalog Settings menu. Does it affect a trace?
brahn

Post by brahn »

Disabling rollover means data collection will stop when the sample buffer for that channel is full. In 8 channel mode, that means after 64 samples. This is pretty easy to see if you use the 1 second frequency, the graph will fill up left to right for 64 seconds and then stop updating. If rollover is checked it will roll over and continue updating from left to right endlessly, overwriting the previous data points.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I see that the default PID Sample Period and Output Period are now 30. Is this because 30 is more reasonable than 3 as a starting point?
Drew

Post by Drew »

Where can I send my bricked BCS462 for repair?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Drew wrote:Where can I send my bricked BCS462 for repair?
Can you elaborate on why you think it's bricked?