Variables in either BCS or BCS recipe utility

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

Re: Variables in either BCS or BCS recipe utility

Post by brahn »

All of the utilities except the recipe utility have been re-written to use the bcs-promise javascript library which is available on GitHub. The library makes them a little more flexible on the format of the URL. The recipe utility will be rewritten to use bcs-promise as well, it's just not done yet.
crane

Post by crane »

JonW wrote:
crane wrote:OK. Is there anything I can do to figure out how to get this to work then?
I just tested on a 460 and it was fine. It looks like you just need to remove the trailing backslash from your BCS address.
Removing the backslash fixed it. Thanks.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Variables Setup Question
I was looking for some help with the Utility

Target Output = Associated Temp Probe Setpoint = Reset a SetPoint?
Target Timer = hh:mm:ss = Reset a Timer?
Target Exit Condition = Value? Set the Value Field in the Exit (Temp/Time/On/Off) depending on Source Type?

Easy as?
1. Set Up variables
2. Recipie Values = Place to change setting when Both the Utility and the BCS are open
brahn

Post by brahn »

I'm not sure I understand your question. The recipe utility gives you an easy place to set multiple settings to the same value. I don't know what you mean by the BCS being "open". I would, as always, suggest you not change any settings while any processes are running.

Try it out, it's pretty simple.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I was just wondering if I had it correct on how it works.

I think I understand.

I can setup "varibles" and they change the values of a "generic" Process.

For example, I may have a "generic" Hop Process.

I have Hop Timer in my Hop Process. I create a variable named "Biter Timer" and set it as Exit Condition 1 State 0 = Bitter Hop Timer Type.
State 0 = Bitter Hop" Exit Condition 1 :Source Type Timer: Hop Timer: Value: 00:30:00
State 1 = Aroma Hop Exit Condition 1 :Source Type Timer: Hop Timer: Value: 00:60:00
State 2 = Flavor Hop Exit Condition 1 :Source Type Timer: Hop Timer: Value: 00:75:00

I have Hop Timer in my Hop Process. I create a variable named "Bitter Drop" and set it as Exit Condition 1State 0 = Bitter Hop"
I create a variable named Aroma Drop" and set it as Exit Condition 1State 1 = Aroma Hop"
I create a variable named "Flavor Drop" and set it as Exit Condition 1State 2 = Flavor Hop"
In my IPA I drop the "Bitter Drop" variable at the start so I set the to 00:00:01.
I drop the the Aroma hops at 75 mins so i set the variable "Aroma Drop" to 00:75:00
I drop the Flavor Hops at 85 minutes so i set the variable "Flavor Drop" to 00:85:00

This will change the Value Field of the Exit Condition 1 for my new IPA Times, When I have an American Ale, I just set new times for the drops.

Hopefully this is "how" it works'

I just wanted to make sure I knew a little more before I played with it.

I can see if you are making different "new" brews this could be a great way way to create a different Profile quickly. I am not sure I will use it that much since we have "regular" brews that we do over and ober again. For that, I just Restore a Backed Up process with all the items already set to the profile.

Another item: Are the stored variables Backed up with Settings or are they lost when you do a Firmware Update?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Stored variables are saved in the browser users cache. The BCS does not know anything about these variables. This is merely an external utility that allows you to quickly change values in multiple places withing the BCS. It gives you a quick screen to enter new values for different timers and temperatures used throughout your processes & states without having to go into the edit screen for each one. There's really nothing "generic" about it unless you're treating your basic process/state configuration as being "generic"

Note that if you use the same variable name in multiple places, then you only need to change the value once on the recipe value screen.

For mine, I use the following:
Strike Temp (used in three places)
Mash Temp (used in one place)
Mash Time (used in one place)
Sparge Temp (used in three places)
Boil Time (used in one place)

So, by going to the variable screen, I can quickly enter 5 values that change in 9 different places in my process/state programming. My process is usually the same for every beer, only the times and temps change. I don't save settings for each recipe, I just quickly enter the 5 needed values.