Variables in either BCS or BCS recipe utility

Things to come.
bcrawfo2
Bot?: No

Variables in either BCS or BCS recipe utility

Post by bcrawfo2 »

I've been anxiously awaiting BCS 4.0 and have been playing with it a little since it went public beta. I also played with BCS Recipe Utility. I like things so far...the BCS code has some really nice changes.
One thing I've noticed is the difficulty to modify my processes for a particular recipe. Just the process to get my mash (mash-prep) ready to go...
I set the HLT PID to 152 (or maybe 152+3 to make it go faster), I set an exit condition at 152, then hold the strike water at 152 until I mash in.
Then in my mash process...I again have the HLT set to 152 or 155...whatever...then another exit condition once I reach 152.
I see how many times my process uses the same value. So if I want to mash at 154 instead of 152....I'm typing the same value over and over again.

It would be neat in either program...the BCS code itself....or in the BCS recipe utility...if I could just set a reference temperature once - say $MashTemp. Then use that multiple times later. Also cool would be the ability to do simple math like $MashTemp + 3.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Variables in either BCS or BCS recipe utility

Post by JonW »

You can actually do what you are describing in the recipe utility. When you define each place that you want to use the variable, using the same name will allow you to only have to enter the value once when you change recipes.

Below is a sample of my variable setup and recipe entry. Notice how I use the same variable multiple times in the setup, but only enter it once in the recipe.

Variable_Setup.png
Variable_Setup.png (161.78 KiB) Viewed 12250 times
Recipe_Values.png
Recipe_Values.png (47.07 KiB) Viewed 12250 times
bcrawfo2

Post by bcrawfo2 »

Awesome. I tried that and I didn't get the results I expected. It could've been that my BCS was confused...because I had to reset it shortly thereafter.
Thanks.
bcrawfo2

Post by bcrawfo2 »

Does anyone know where the mappings of process/state/value to variable mapping is stored?
I have the recipe loader working the way I want...but I don't get how to back up the work I did today. Every time I close my browser the settings are still there. I've taken screenshots, but that will require re-entry (if the mappings ever do go away).

Thanks for the hard work...whoever wrote that.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The data is in the local browser storage cache. If you are using Chrome, you can open the developer tools (Ctrl-Shift-I), then go to local storage, then http://embeddedcc.github.io/. You can highlight the stored value in "bcs-recipe.fields" and copy it somewhere to save it. This is probably something that might be better saved to a local file that could be reloaded between browsers.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I fully intend to make it something that can be saved to and restored from a local file, it just hasn't been done yet. Most of my efforts have been geared toward getting the firmware ready for release. The utilities are in what I would consider a usable but bare-bones state. Work on the utilities will continue while the firmware is in beta.
crane

Post by crane »

I can't seem to get the recipe utility to sync to my BCS. I have gotten the backup/restore, PID tuning, and 3.x configuration migrator to see my BCS just fine. I have a BCS460, does it only work with 462's right now?
Attachments
recipe.PNG
recipe.PNG (8.15 KiB) Viewed 12231 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

crane wrote:I can't seem to get the recipe utility to sync to my BCS. I have gotten the backup/restore, PID tuning, and 3.x configuration migrator to see my BCS just fine. I have a BCS460, does it only work with 462's right now?
Yes, it should be working with both the 460/462.
crane

Post by crane »

JonW wrote:
crane wrote:I can't seem to get the recipe utility to sync to my BCS. I have gotten the backup/restore, PID tuning, and 3.x configuration migrator to see my BCS just fine. I have a BCS460, does it only work with 462's right now?
Yes, it should be working with both the 460/462.
OK. Is there anything I can do to figure out how to get this to work then?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

crane wrote:OK. Is there anything I can do to figure out how to get this to work then?
I just tested on a 460 and it was fine. It looks like you just need to remove the trailing backslash from your BCS address.