4.0 Public Beta Issues

Things to come.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: 4.0 Public Beta Issues

Post by JonW »

Interesting... Mine don't change on reboot. I have entries for 2b, 2c & 2d.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I was able to get the I2C Temp probe to hold (save) when I also toggled the Celsius button. If you do that it will not become disabled on a System Reset or Power Reset. If I change one without clicking the Celcius checkbox, it will not change but revert to what is was. There may be other things that make it save, but that is one I found.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Good catch. Changing the LED Display settings does not cause the configuration to be written to flash. Updating any other 'system' level settings will write the config to flash, including the LED Display settings as oakbarn noted. This will be fixed in the next release.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Two weeks ago we brewed with the beta firmware. This morning we couldn't connect with the normal address. I downloaded the new bcs finder and it couldn't find it. I connect through a bridge, so I tried connecting direct. Still nothing.
Things I have tried
Disabled firewall
Disabled Virus protection
Tried a different computer
Reset for 10 seconds
Reset for 20 seconds
Reset for 30 Seconds and tried to put in the old firmware. I can't get it to take, but I am not sure I fully understand the tftp process.

When I disconnect from the internet and hardwire straight to the computer, I tried
running ipconfig, and replacing all 0's in the ip with 255, then pinging that number
It comes back with 4 lines saying Destination Host xxxxx unreachable
Packets sent =4 Packets recieved = 4 lost = 0
Then I type arp -a and there is no ips listed with the bcs default ip addresses.

What else can I try ?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Kent wrote:What else can I try ?
Sounds like because the BCS wasn't used for two weeks that it dropped the DHCP address assigned to it (which is what DHCP is supposed to do). Likely your bridge was messing with its ability to get a new address.

Plug the BCS directly into your router and let it get a DHCP address there. You should have no problems finding it with the finder. You need to do the 10 second reset again to make sure you've got it back to DHCP mode since you've gone through all the options and sufficiently messed up any existing config that was there.

DO NOT USE DIRECT CONNECT MODE. There are too many variables involved to make it work properly unless you have a background in advanced networking. It is NOT a plug and play mode.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks Jon, it worked, but I am really confused. I have been plugged into that bridge for probably a year or better and never had this issue. I had tried resetting the bridge by unplugging it, and resetting the BCS by unplugging it and after that I tried doing both at the same time. So why wasn't the finder ever able to find it? When I first got the BCS I used to bring it into the house and plug it directly into the computer and don't remember having issues, so I don't understand why plugging direct should be an issue now.

Anyhow I guess if I can get it plugged into the bridge again and find it, I am up and running again. Being a network dummy, I sure wish this was a windows program and the controller just plugged into a usb slot.

Thanks again, I am going to go try it with the bridge and see if it works there now.
Kent

Post by Kent »

I had to do a hard reset on the bridge and then it found it.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Kent wrote:Thanks Jon, it worked, but I am really confused. I have been plugged into that bridge for probably a year or better and never had this issue. I had tried resetting the bridge by unplugging it, and resetting the BCS by unplugging it and after that I tried doing both at the same time. So why wasn't the finder ever able to find it? When I first got the BCS I used to bring it into the house and plug it directly into the computer and don't remember having issues, so I don't understand why plugging direct should be an issue now.

Anyhow I guess if I can get it plugged into the bridge again and find it, I am up and running again. Being a network dummy, I sure wish this was a windows program and the controller just plugged into a usb slot.

Thanks again, I am going to go try it with the bridge and see if it works there now.
Just like the old finder, the Windows firewall and anti-virus software can block the network packets that the finder uses. On Windows you may need to turn off firewall and anti-virus software for the Finder to work.

It's possible that, like Jon said, the BCS had gotten a new DHCP lease and was just at another IP that couldn't be found because of the firewall. My recommended config is a static DHCP lease, so it always gets the same DHCP address from your router.

I also wish there was a way to connect directly via USB and configure it, it would reduce our support issues significantly. :)
Broph

Post by Broph »

Can set points for outputs be set to the tenth of a degree? The Setpoint in the Output Control used to be able to handle to the tenth of a degree. I can only get a whole number input using ver.4.0. Example 152.5
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Under the Networking Menu, the Reset BCS button name should be changed or the one under System Reset to match as they are the same.
bcsrecommend1.png
bcsrecommend1.png (24.37 KiB) Viewed 5598 times