4.0 Public Beta Issues

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

Re: 4.0 Public Beta Issues

Post by brahn »

This is most likely a bug. I've opened an issue to track it. I'm not sure if any of the alpha testers were using duty cycle.
brahn

Post by brahn »

JonW wrote: This is related to something I was talking about with DHempy the other night. If we could use registers as exit conditions, it would do what PTODD is asking as well as give us the ability for a process/state to trigger another process/state. As it is, we can only trigger the start or end of another process, but with registers as exit conditions, we could enable a finer level of inter-process communication. e.g. Process1 changes states and asserts a register which in turn triggers Process2 to change states also. In PTODD's case, the AND conditions would be in ladder logic and the register would be the state exit condition.
This still doesn't necessarily provide what PTODD is asking for. Ladder Logic doesn't give you access to timers, for example. I think an AND on exit conditions and using registers in exit conditions are separate requests. Both seem like good ideas, I just want to make sure there are good use cases for them before we build them. They won't be in 4.0, but I like both of these suggestions for post-4.0.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Installation went OK, and we got things set up yesterday so decided to try a brew today. For some reason PID isn't working for us, we have had to switch to hysteeresis for the moment. Anyone have any ideas what we might be missing?
brahn

Post by brahn »

Kent wrote:Installation went OK, and we got things set up yesterday so decided to try a brew today. For some reason PID isn't working for us, we have had to switch to hysteeresis for the moment. Anyone have any ideas what we might be missing?
Can you provide some more details about what was happening with the PID mode? Did you check the PID settings?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

This is a question I ask about 4,0 in the Public Beta forum that was not answered but may have something to do about PID settings:

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 1
Postby oakbarn on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:41 pm

I see that the default PID Sample Period and Output Period are now 30. Is this because 30 is more reasonable than 3 as a starting point?
PTODD

Post by PTODD »

Thanks! I was trying to create an EXIT condition where I wanted to move to another process when 15 minutes had passed and the TEMP had reached a certain value. I guess I could always create two states instead, but the AND seemed that it would simplify the process.

PTODD
PTODD

Post by PTODD »

I was brewing yesterday with 4.0 (beta) and ran into a couple of issues. A couple of times during the mashing process, my TEMP readings through the BCS jumped about 10 - 15 degrees (showing that my mash was over 165) during the "Hold at 153" state. I have an analog thermometer in the Blichmann MLT that was showing the TEMP at 153ish. I double-checked the process and it was correctly set to hold at 153. I've run this process several times on the 3.7.1 software with normal behavior. I stopped the entire process and restarted the mash process and jumped to the "sparge" state and all was showing correctly. I believe the TEMP was correct and it was just a visual issue. ??

I also had an issue where the MLT Temp gauge showed a setpoint when there wasn't one in the running state. I have attached a couple of screenshots that I captured during that one.

PTODD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/af4xlkoa7uepj ... M.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m96ab1s8neiny ... M.png?dl=0
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Once you click "All Stop", the State Buttons (Interactive Text) no longer work until you launch the process from the Process Side Bar.

If you open the BCS you can click #2 and the "Mash" Process Starts in the "Mash" State. If you click #1, then you cannot click #2 or any other States in any Process to cause the State and Process to come on.

You have to start the Process with #3, then the #2 becomes interactive again along with any other State (like the ones in "Clean")
allstop.png
allstop.png (83.09 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
brahn

Post by brahn »

PTODD wrote:I was brewing yesterday with 4.0 (beta) and ran into a couple of issues. A couple of times during the mashing process, my TEMP readings through the BCS jumped about 10 - 15 degrees (showing that my mash was over 165) during the "Hold at 153" state. I have an analog thermometer in the Blichmann MLT that was showing the TEMP at 153ish. I double-checked the process and it was correctly set to hold at 153. I've run this process several times on the 3.7.1 software with normal behavior. I stopped the entire process and restarted the mash process and jumped to the "sparge" state and all was showing correctly. I believe the TEMP was correct and it was just a visual issue. ??
It would not be a visual issue, that means the BCS is reading the higher temp at that time. I can think of a few possible causes without knowing much about your system. The probe may not be properly grounded, this can cause swings in the temp readings. If you're holding at 153 in the mash, I assume you've got wort returning to the MT. I'm not sure where your probes are positioned, but could you be getting the reading from heated wort that's being returned to the kettle?
PTODD wrote: I also had an issue where the MLT Temp gauge showed a setpoint when there wasn't one in the running state. I have attached a couple of screenshots that I captured during that one.

PTODD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/af4xlkoa7uepj ... M.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m96ab1s8neiny ... M.png?dl=0
This is a bit strange. Can you provide steps to repeat this issue? Was there a previous state/process that had a setpoint on the MLT? Does this same behavior happen using the LED temp displays? It seems like a bug, but I'll need to be able to repeat the issue to find out where the bug lives.
brahn

Post by brahn »

oakbarn wrote:Once you click "All Stop", the State Buttons (Interactive Text) no longer work until you launch the process from the Process Side Bar.
Confirmed, this is a bug. Will be fixed in the next release.