Configuration Migrator issues

Things to come.
crane
Bot?: No

Configuration Migrator issues

Post by crane »

I just updated to the 4.0 public beta and use the configuration migrator to reload my 3.7.1 settings. A few things did not get transferred over.

1. One shot checkbox for Din's did not get restored from my 3.7.1 setup.
2. LED displays did not get setup.

Everything else seemed to come over fine. Are these items that are missing from the configuration migrator, or am I experiencing a bug in the utility?

I see from trial that the configuration migrator also works with my individual process config files. It was not clear whether I could use it to migrate processes as well. I would suggest changing the text above the configuration file selection box from "BCS 3.x Configuration File:" to something like "BCS 3.x System or Process Configuration File:". I think a lot of people will assume that it only works with system configuration files and not both.

I did experience some issues with migrating processes.

1. One of my steps had my chiller temp (temp0) controlling my boil kettle element (Dout0) instead of my boil kettle temp (temp1). This happened most of the time with different combinations of outputs being controlled by the wrong temp input. It wasn't always a direct correlation between output index number and temp input index number. For example I had my HLT controlled by chiller temp in one step and mash tun in another, boil kettle in a third, and in one instance the temp input was blank. More often than not this was not set correctly.
2. I would expect that my previous Win exit conditions would convert to the new wait for Input exit condition. I had to set each of these up manually.
3. Spawning another process upon exiting a state didn't get pulled in on any of the states that previously had it.
4. A number of times the send email on Alarm did not get checked where it was checked on my 3.7.1 configuration.
5. Duty cycle values came in at 1/10 of what they should, i.e. I set it to 100% during my boil rise and then switch to 70% for the duration of the boil. These values were set to 10% and 7% respectively.
brahn

Re: Configuration Migrator issues

Post by brahn »

Many of the settings you mention were not documented, or documented incorrectly, in the 3.x configurations. I did a lot of trial and error, but there were some things I didn't find or test.

The duty cycle settings were probably just untested. Most values need to be divided by 10 when saving them, but it's possible that duty cycle doesn't.

Wins do not map directly to Wait for Input, I can't think of any way to do this automatically. They really don't work the same way at all. Web Inputs trigger an exit condition when a button is pressed. Wait for Input is triggered by a timer, temp probe, or DIN. How would you know which one of these triggered the wait for input state?
PLOVE

Re: Configuration Migrator issues

Post by PLOVE »

crane wrote: I see from trial that the configuration migrator also works with my individual process config files. It was not clear whether I could use it to migrate processes as well. I would suggest changing the text above the configuration file selection box from "BCS 3.x Configuration File:" to something like "BCS 3.x System or Process Configuration File:". I think a lot of people will assume that it only works with system configuration files and not both.
Brilliant! Awesome suggestion. I even posted a question about process migration on another thread. Was NOT obvious that this function was for both processes and config files. I figured you were even wrong - until I tried it.

Thank YOU!
P