New Feature Request: Setpoint on Temp Gauge

Things to come.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

New Feature Request: Setpoint on Temp Gauge

Post by oakbarn »

Have the Target Temperature Displayed on a Temperature Gauge even if NOT under PID control. I used some PIDs from Aubrins as digital gauges before I got my BCS. Their main purpose was to display the Temperature and the Setpoint. I even wired lights into the enclosures that told me "Too Hot" (red light) or "Too Cool" (Blue Light"). I do not need the lights as I did not find them all that useful but the Setpoint Display allowed me to fine tune my Propane flame manually to the Target. I found the Setpoint handy even if I was the PID (MoFAF).

BTW: MoFAF is an old Pilot term about a Monkey and a Football.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: New Feature Request: Setpoint on Temp Gauge

Post by JonW »

I don't understand what you're asking here. If the current process/state is not under PID/hysteresis, etc. control, then there is no setpoint to display.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Basically it is so that me and my Brew Buddies can see a Target Temperature. We now use propane and adjust the flame to maintain a temp. Even if I have an Alarm, I can see quickly how far I have to go.

You can do this by "faking" a PID Control that does not control anything.

I set up my SSRs to have a 24 vdc SSR to eventually allow PID control of a burner. That SSR is not connected to anything yet so I can set my Target and that works, but then I have the Out Displayed on the Main Control Panel. It would just be nicer if I could set a Target for manually controlled burners.

After I wrote the original post I played around and thought of the "fake" PID. Of course the BCS does not care if the PID is "fake" or even if an SSR is connected to make a "fake" PID for Target Display.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I think the way to do this is to simply put the setpoint on an unused output. It wouldn't need to be connected to an SSR, or anything at all. I don't like the idea of creating fake outputs in the BCS because I don't think it would be a commonly used feature and I think it would probably cause more confusion for new users of the system.

Having an output displayed on the main page could be a plus, if it's on you know you need to turn up the heat. Hiding the output is probably something that could be done with the advanced js feature if you really wanted to dig into it. I haven't published anything about how to use advanced js in 4.0 yet because it's still a work in progress, so if you go this route know that whatever you do may get broken in the future.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Fake it. If you are manually running your burner, then there is no setpoint.