BCS Roadmap

Things to come.
BrewBeemer
Bot?: No

Re: BCS Roadmap

Post by BrewBeemer »

Adam;
it's been several months, Sept 30, 2010 since I last posted asking questions of future added BCS features,
a liquid flow metering plus a pressure sensor reading features, have you looked into them or made any progress towards adding these features?
Another request dated Sept 30, 2010 by member "artbrau" about adding a ""build" their systems visually and open valves". A "virtual control panel" was your reply, any progress on this also?
A reply by another member stated "he would be all over it" if the BCS had my pressure sensor and liquid flow features request added.
These three above mentioned features would be a great addition to the 462.
It's been 3 1/2 months without any encouraging words of progress as i'm looking to purchasing a BCS 462 when these features become available.
I bet there are many other future potential BCS buyers waiting for these added features that would purchase your units.
I did sell my NIB 460 at a loss months ago just waiting for these added features to become a reality on the 462. Prost
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yes, we're making progress. Any interface features such as a custom interface solution will be available in a future firmware update. Any other sensor updates will come in the way of expansion cards or new hardware. So the 462 won't support volume/flow natively, but when new hardware is available you will be able to connect the 462 with it.

Sorry, i don't have an ETA. But rest assured that we're working on it. With the new year brings renewed focus on the BCS.
BrewBeemer

Post by BrewBeemer »

I'm in a holding pattern until I run out of fuel.
I was thinking the hydrostaic pressure sensor from;http://www.us.endress.com/
with their FMB50 unit having a 4 to 20 mA output as a liquid level control, 25 mb to 10 bar operating range
rated to 212*F.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I think a lot of the beauty of the BCS is what comes from users and user suggestions. I have seen numerous additions to the software side of the BCS put into place. There is a user on here who has designed a "visual brewery" for the bcs and has posted updates regularly. It shows that the work can be done with a bit of initiative on the user end.

I would love to have a liquid level sensor. It would allow me to automate more of my brewery functions. But... I am not willing to pay a large amount of money for these sensors. That's one issue that we have had in designing or suggesting a sensor that would function with the BCS. COST..
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

BrewBeemer wrote:Adam;
I bet there are many other future potential BCS buyers waiting for these added features that would purchase your units.
So you're saying you think there's a lot of people sitting on the fence because these features aren't here? I think you're way off base. The core functionality of the BCS-460/462 is doing what most people need. There are several people using float switches to control levels already. This is probably the direction I will go as well. Simple, cheap and effective. Do you even know how much these FMB50 pressure sensors are that you talk about? I can't find a price anywhere on them, which to me says they are expensive industrial components - which would probably only be used by a couple of people.
Kent

Post by Kent »

I too am interested in level sensing. I was searching for a SS Petcock, and came across this site which lead me to this site. I am not smart in that kind of stuff, but I was wondering if any of those level sensors could be a possibility?
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yes, those level switches look like they'll work, the BCS supports switches through discrete inputs (DINS). To integrate a level switch, simply wire one terminal to the BCS +5VDC pin, and the other terminal to a DIN pin. While the switch is open, the DIN is off, and when the switch is closed the DIN is ON.

In the BCS programming, you can set an exit condition on the DIN value. For example, you may have a state where the you want the pump ON until the float switch is tripped.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Any 'forward looking statements' about any new hardware on the horizon? I am thinking about a 2nd unit, but would really like RTD and/or 4-20mA.
ECC

Post by ECC »

There's always new stuff on the drawing board, and we'll continue to expand our offerings. But things move very slow, so nothing close to being on the calendar.

The highest priority right now is to enable current BCS-460 and BCS-462 controllers with volume control, and also expand the HMI feature set. I think this is where the most interest lies, so that's where we'll focus.
todd

Post by todd »

What do you mean by volume control? As in louder sounds or measure the volume of water in my HLT. Thanks Todd