BCS Roadmap

Things to come.
ECC
Bot?: No

BCS Roadmap

Post by ECC »

There have been quite a few requests for BCS future roadmap. People have been making various feature requests, and this forum is a great place to voice those needs and wants. I'd like to hear your opinion. I'll edit this list as new features are requested, and as features are implemented. So check back often.

Here is what's currently in the pipe. If you ask when these features will be implemented, I'll give you a vague response like "in a future firmware release". ;) This isn't meant to be a fully inclusive list, so if you don't see your requested feature here don't worry.

BCS Firmware Updates
  • Buildable GUI, import system dependent pic and overlay control info. Done, v3.4
  • Spawn/kill processes from other processes.Done, v3.4
  • Temperature Setpoints on control page. In the current firmware, the setpoint is in the Current State Properties table, but it could be better displayed.
  • Email
  • Slave Mode
  • Twitter Update.
  • Messages (popup,email) on state change
  • Real Date and Time
Expansion Cards
  • Analog - It would be nice to be able to interface with analog sensors. This would open the door to all kinds of new control.
  • Volume Measurement - Either handled with the Analog card, a standalone card, or a new resistive sensor that would work with existing BCS's
  • Enclosure for the Digi16? Everyone seems to want one. Done
  • Support for external display.Done
Utilites
  • Datalogger - Utility that periodically polls a BCS for data, charts, and saves in a file. Although the built in charting of the BCS allows you to view and save datalogs, it would be interesting to be able to have something running on a local computer. If you are interested in helping out, please PM me.
Features already implemented wrote: BCS Firmware Updates
  • Emergency Stop button. Turns off all outputs, stops all processes. Done, v3.0
  • Ability to resize gauges. The current ones are too big imho, it would be nice to be able to select between smaller and bigger sizes. Also like how Yuri added more tick marks, so that will be integrated as well. Done, v3.0
  • More processes. Shooting for 4 more, for a total of 8. Done, v3.0
  • Save individual processes to file. This would make it easier to have 'recipes' of different styles. Done, v3.0
  • One-shot DINs. Ability to select between level and one-shot, for instances when you want to use a pushbutton to cycle between states, and not have it go through more than one at a time. Done, v3.0
  • Process timers. Don't reset the timer on state change, let it run until the process is stopped. Done, v3.0
  • System name (header) saved internally, not in a cookie. Done, v3.0
  • AutoRefresh - Dynamically adjust the refresh rate to the BCS, and signal when its disconnected. Done, v3.0
BCS-462
Work has been underway on designing a new controller with more I/O. The BCS-462 will run the same software as the 460, but have 8 temp inputs, 8 discrete inputs, and 18 outputs (6 pwm, 12 on/off). Since both the 460 and 462 will run the same software, all of the updates listed above will apply to both.
Availability: Now Available!
Utilites
  • Network BCS Finder - A small program/script that would scan the subnet of your home network for the BCS. This would be a great help to new BCS users, who are having difficulties with networking. If you are interested in helping out, please PM me. Multi-platform would be nice. Done, find it here
ohio-ed

Re: BCS Roadmap

Post by ohio-ed »

Nice List!!!

Personally, I'd like to request a bit of a strategy change in the documentation...
I know all the answers are in the wiki, but for the life of me I have a heck of a time navigating it.
I start looking, and it's like jumping into a rabbit hole... I find myself bouncing from page to page without knowing where I am or how I got there.
I'd like to see a printable version.

I'd also like to have a link back to the ECC main page from the wiki (the one there talks you to the main wiki page instead of the ECC page)

I guess while I'm at it, I should ask for a way to eliminate the "wall wort" power supply too. The ability to use a more universal power suppl would help.

Thanks for a great product. Keep up the good work.

Ed
ECC

Post by ECC »

Thanks Ed. The reason that the documentation is a wiki is that we have no where near enough resources to put together a printed manual. I am hoping that people will contribute to the documentation where they see it is lacking. Everyone can write, its just a matter of setting up an account (which is the beauty of wikis). So if you see something that isn't clear, please change it. (I always reserve the write to modify/delete anything I see fit, but usually ANY contributions are welcome). New System Examples would be very helpful to new users as well.

I will look for a MediaWiki extension that pulls together a pdf.. my guess is that something like that exists, and I agree it would be very useful to have a dedicated pdf. However one thing that I love about online documentation is that its never outdated, and I can insert 'helper links' directly into the BCS user interface. For example, on firmware v2.0 and later, if you want more information on what some of the settings do in the System Settings page, just click on the top of the page and it will bring you directly to the documentation here.

As for your point about the power supply, the reason that the wall wort was chosen is because it was the most economical solution. I think 95% of BCS owners don't want the expense/hassle of having to track down and house an separate external power supply. But I do agree that having the ability to use a 12 or even 24v power supply would be desirable for some customers. Maybe someday there will be a 12v version. Point taken, thank you for your suggestions Ed.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

I'd be happy to help with any clarification or system examples I can in the wiki... once I have enough experience to have anything to contribute ;)

I understand the advantage of the wiki. I'd like to have a hard copy to scan, but LOVE having the most current documentation just a click away.

Was I correct about the ECC link on the Wiki not working properly? There appears to be no way back to the home page from the wiki except hitting the back button (as many times as needed)

I think a dual voltage option would be great... ship the BCS with the 5vdc supply, but have a switch to convert to 12v... not sure if its possible, but would be sweet.

Ed
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I would be happy to assist as well. The biggest issue I struggled with was ramping the temperatures for different things. I use "ramp and hold" now during my mash process. The steps were very easy to create once I dug into the forums / demo and found what I needed.

We are moving soon and I will have some "new options" to create my brewery in my garage. I plan on using ramping in my refer for cold crashing after a period of time.

I think WIKI from the users would be great if some of the more seasoned users would post to it. I think the BCS460 is in the early stage so making a printed manual might be pointless. It seems like you have given the foundation for brewing tools, but the users are constantly coming up with new inovative ways to use it.
That is why I like it so much :D
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Gbrewer - I agree that a printed manual from ECC wouldn't make much sense at this point. My request was a way to print the current wiki myself. I'm OK with the idea of printing it myself and know there may be a more updated version online before the paper even cools down, but I like to "scan" cover to cover then read those sections most relevant first, then read the rest of the document. With the online wiki, I find myself going in circles, then later come across very relevant content in links and wonder how the heck I missed it.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Ran into another "would be kinda nice to have" yesterday.

I was doing some testing and watching the gauges for changes. I think, due to my network setup, the browser locked up on me a couple times.

So the nice to have, would be some kind of a very simple graphic on the screen that changes/updates each time the bcs refreshes. It could be as simple as a dot that goes back and forth from black to white. Just some way to know the screen is still being updated other than waiting on the gauge to change in case the temp is not changing.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, I agree. "AutoRefresh - Dynamically adjust the refresh rate to the BCS, and signal when its disconnected."

I'm thinking a little red light / green light to show if the browser is connected and getting updates from the BCS.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I was using some mobile software a few years ago that had what you described. They ended up naming it the "heartbeat". I do agree that it would be nice to be able to print the entire WIKI. I know often I find what I am looking for only because I clicked on the word link and not a menu.
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

BCS-462
Work has been underway on designing a new controller with more I/O. The BCS-462 will run the same software as the 460, but have 8 temp inputs, 8 discrete inputs, and 18 outputs (6 pwm, 12 on/off). Since both the 460 and 462 will run the same software, all of the updates listed above will apply to both.
Availability: May, tentatively priced at $345.00
I still haven't finished put my BCS-460 into use yet! Willing to accept a new unused BCS-460 as partial trade in on a BCS-462 when they are available? ;)