BCS 4.0 Public Beta 2

Things to come.
bcrawfo2
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 2

Post by bcrawfo2 »

I upgraded my BCS. I used the backup and restore function on github and saved my json file.
I go to restore...select the json...it knows my process names, but when I restore...I'm still at default settings.
Ideas?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

bcrawfo2 wrote:I upgraded my BCS. I used the backup and restore function on github and saved my json file.
I go to restore...select the json...it knows my process names, but when I restore...I'm still at default settings.
Ideas?
Confirmed - I just updated a unit to B2 and ran a backup/restore and it's not restoring.

EDIT - I just ran the restore a second time and my config is now there.
bcrawfo2

Post by bcrawfo2 »

Odd...I tried it on my mac with both Safari and Chrome....multiple times.
I tried it using IE on a Windows 7 machine...worked.
DenningsPoint

Post by DenningsPoint »

brahn wrote:The 462 allowed you to control 6 before, right? Either way, the new firmware lets you control 8.
I should have been more clear. Can the new software control more than 4 PID 7 Segment Displays. I read in the documentation I could only control 4.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

DenningsPoint wrote:
brahn wrote:The 462 allowed you to control 6 before, right? Either way, the new firmware lets you control 8.
I should have been more clear. Can the new software control more than 4 PID 7 Segment Displays. I read in the documentation I could only control 4.
4.0 supports 8 displays.
ChuckO2999

Post by ChuckO2999 »

Just made an observation of the fix for the duty cycle problem. I wanted to verify that everything was working properly before I got too far into brewing a batch. I have the sample period and the output period set to 2 seconds for the output to my boil element. When I looked at the Main Control page I saw that the boil output appeared to be on continuously. I set both the sample period and output period to 3 seconds and the screen properly reflected the on/off nature of a 50% duty cycle. Went back to 2 seconds and the output appeared to be on continuously. Finally opened my control panel and saw that the SSR was properly cycling. It seems that the refresh for my browser window is also 2 seconds, leaving the appearance of no change in the outputs even though they are working correctly.

Just a caution for anyone else before they tear their hair out looking for a non-existent problem.

Love the version 4 beta firmware.

Only problem I find is that trying to set a temperature to tenths of a degree still highlights an error message about using even degrees. It takes the change and appears to work properly though.
brahn

Post by brahn »

ChuckO2999 wrote:Just a caution for anyone else before they tear their hair out looking for a non-existent problem.
Thanks for the observation. Good to know!
ChuckO2999 wrote:Only problem I find is that trying to set a temperature to tenths of a degree still highlights an error message about using even degrees. It takes the change and appears to work properly though.
I didn't see this when I built it, but you prompted me to do some searching. This is browser-specific, but there is a way to setup the field that will prevent the validation error. I've created an issue to track this and it will be in the next release, which will either be a beta 3 or 4.0 final.
crane

Post by crane »

It appears that you cannot set the integral or derivative PID settings to 0 anymore. I only use PI and set D to 0. I am able to set it to 0.1, so I will give that a try on a test run tomorrow.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post my issue, but having problems with FW update.

I saved my config file from the BCS webpage onto my mac.
I nabbed the latest v2 of F/W 4.0 bin file from this thread.
I had installed Tftpserver on my macbook
I went in Chrome to the BCS and entered Firmware update mode.
I went and started the Tftpserver (I know this was out of order) and used "change path" to set the proper directory where the bin file is (Download).
I then clicked the Fix permissions button because it was red.
The BCS page isn't working anymore - I have set its IP address using a reserved IP address through my router. It shows up in the router page with the same IP address as it previously had - though sometimes this takes a while to refresh.
Seems that maybe I should try to do this from a PC after a power cycle on the BCS and try over.

as a secondary question, I noted some commentary about "ramping" for fermentation control. How do I accomplish this? Is this a new to 4.0 feature?
My BCS is used exclusively for fermentation - controlling a homebuilt glycol chiller, a sump pump, and mechanical ball valves. There are three valves and two SSR operating the chiller and the pump, and there are four temp inputs - one for the glycol and three for fermenters. Im not sure If I could add three low wattage (25W each) AC heating cords to the system. I basically followed another HBT members design with some changes and I don't really understand much about the actual operation of the BCS. Only thing I fiddled with was temp set points and the hysteresis settings. No clue where ramping would come into play.

Thanks

edit- after some fiddling, it seems I cannot get the TFTP server running. It will cannot bind the appropriate port 69. I do not see this port being specified in my port forwarding rules. Not sure why it would be locked down. any suggestions??

TD
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

TrickyDick wrote:The BCS page isn't working anymore - I have set its IP address using a reserved IP address through my router. It shows up in the router page with the same IP address as it previously had - though sometimes this takes a while to refresh.
Seems that maybe I should try to do this from a PC after a power cycle on the BCS and try over.
Have you power cycled it yet? When the BCS is put into firmware update mode, it will not respond to web queries until it has finished the update and restarted. If you can't get the TFTP server working properly, a power cycle of the BCS will bring it right back to its previous operational state.

TrickyDick wrote:as a secondary question, I noted some commentary about "ramping" for fermentation control. How do I accomplish this? Is this a new to 4.0 feature?
Ramping was in the 3.x series, but it is much easier in 4.0. It can be used for both fermentation control as well as step mashes. You simply input the start target temp and the final target temp and a duration time to adjust over. It will ramp the temp setpoints over the duration time specified until it reaches the final target temp.