BCS 4.0 Public Beta 2

Things to come.
TrickyDick
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 2

Post by TrickyDick »

Thanks.

I power cycled it and it reverted back to previous state. No issues there. However, I can't figure out how to use the TFTP server on either Mac or PC without errors.
TD
brahn

Post by brahn »

I've never gotten it to work on my mac either unfortunately. Others have had success with that TftpServer application, so I don't know why it doesn't work for me. On PC I think the most common issue is AV/Firewall blocking the Tftp connection.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

I can't get the stuff to work.

Can I plug the BCS directly into my laptop??

TD

edit-
scratch that!
I disabled my Anti-Virus/Norton thing-a-ma-bob temporarily and it updated.....

edit 2-
The migration tool isn't working for me.
I have the system config file from 3.7.0 but It doesn't seem to want to work to update the new 4.0 BCS

edit 3-
tried again using safari, and seemed to work this time. At least I got a dialog box opened and some progress bars moving. Some sections failed to update, but I suspect that I hadn't been utilizing those and there was no data to migrate. I think this was mentioned in one of the two beta threads.

Thanks!
so as a final question(s), now that I've apparently updated and migrated, where do I discover how to perform fermentation temp ramping?
Is there a way to assert control for fermentation temps to both chill and warm the tanks? I have 120VAC / 25W lizard cord wrapped around the base of them (3 tanks). Currently these are not connected to anything however. I'm not sure how I'd manage this. I would need to wire the heat cord to a switchable (small wattage SSR connected to 120VAC and find a way to control from the BCS? Frankly not sure how well the 25 Watt cords are going to perform through the HPDE tanks. Would at least be useful for raising temps for dacetyl and manipulating belgian/saison strains. Doesn't get too cold where the whole rig is parked, even in winter.
TD
brahn

Post by brahn »

Ramp mode is located in the process editor. Select the state you want then go to Ramp Mode. Ramp mode just changes the setpoint for the selected outputs over time. You can specify one output as heat, one as cool and then control both of them with the ramp mode.
brahn

Post by brahn »

TrickyDick wrote: edit 3-
tried again using safari, and seemed to work this time. At least I got a dialog box opened and some progress bars moving. Some sections failed to update, but I suspect that I hadn't been utilizing those and there was no data to migrate. I think this was mentioned in one of the two beta threads.
What browser were you using when it didn't work? Some sections failing isn't necessarily a problem, but it would be a good idea to check those sections and make sure the config looks right to you.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

I updated my newly received 460 from 3.7.1 to 4.0 Beta 2 using TFTPServer on my MacBook Pro. FWIW, there was no indication the update worked via the TFPTServer app and the BCS did not come back online from update mode. I power-cycled the BCS after about 5 minutes and 4.0 was on it. Go figure.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Oh. And the migration tool worked perfectly for me in the newest version of Safari on OS X 10.10.2 (though it might be nice to update the UI to indicate that the migration is finished rather than relying solely on a progress bar).
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

TheAleMaster wrote:I updated my newly received 460 from 3.7.1 to 4.0 Beta 2 using TFTPServer on my MacBook Pro. FWIW, there was no indication the update worked via the TFPTServer app and the BCS did not come back online from update mode. I power-cycled the BCS after about 5 minutes and 4.0 was on it. Go figure.
On 3.x, you have to power cycle the BCS after the update. On 4.x, it will reset and come back up on its own. It is best to monitor the tranfer from the TFTP server side. e.g. watch it tranfer the total bytes or see if it has a progress bar for the transfer. The update transfer usually takes less than 30 seconds.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

JonW wrote:On 3.x, you have to power cycle the BCS after the update. On 4.x, it will reset and come back up on its own. It is best to monitor the tranfer from the TFTP server side. e.g. watch it tranfer the total bytes or see if it has a progress bar for the transfer. The update transfer usually takes less than 30 seconds.
Awesome. So then I guess it's just an FYI from others trying to use a Mac and TFTPServer - I got no indication from the app that the firmware had been retrieved by the BCS, even in the log.
kapavita

Post by kapavita »

Is it possible to keep a timer running when the process using this timer is paused?
Many times during the mash process, I have to stop the outputs for the pump and RIMS.
Pausing the process stops the outputs but it also stops the timers which then makes it
challenging to track consistent 60 or 90 min mash schedules. Thanks!