Start with #1

Things to come.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Start with #1

Post by oakbarn »

I find starting with Zero rather than "One" in the nomenclature disconcerting.

I know that this would have to corrdinated with a Label Change on the BCS itself, but I would hope that sometime in the future

we could have Temp 1 to Temp 8 on a BCS 462 instead of Temp 0 to Temp 7? Same with Outs, Dins, Processes. I am always thinking of "1" as the first instead of "0". I am not a binary type of guy. :D
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Start with #1

Post by JonW »

Believe me, this is something that has been discussed (and even tried) quite a bit. The issue really comes down to the API and ladder logic. Within those areas, it really must be done 0 based as interfacing with systems at a code level, zero based just makes more sense. On the UI side though, it was actually changed to 1 based early on in the 4.0 builds. However, as you start mixing what you're doing in the UI with custom code in the API, it got real messy, real quick since Temp0 in code was Temp1 in the UI. Thus, the decision was made to keep everything zero based.

The good news is that (unlike 3.x) once you set your names to your probes, inputs, outputs, processes and states, you really never see the zero based names much. If you get into the API, then yes, you'll deal with zero based, but a programmer will welcome that.
jward

Post by jward »

I do IT for a living and counting from zero is an annoyance to my ascetic scense of correctness too. :) The ugly truth, as Jon points out, is that when you have to work without much of an abstraction layer hiding the digital underpinnings of hardware it can get ugly fast mixing counting numbers with the digital.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have some programming background as well and I know it makes programming sense and "who is on first?" is a progamming hell if it is not "who". I really like the 4.0 interface that has you choose the Labels you give them so I guess really a moot point in 4.0. I have yet to brew with it but think I will in the next month.
el_hombre

Post by el_hombre »

It doesn't bother me at all. But then again I have been a programmer for over 10 years so 0-based counting doesn't bother me anymore. :S