BCS 4.0 - Anyone using PID with electric elements?

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

BCS 4.0 - Anyone using PID with electric elements?

Post by brahn »

Hi, I've gotten a report of an issue with PID mode and electric heating elements in 4.0. In this case it is shutting the element off before the setpoint is reached. I'd like to do some additional debugging and confirm this issue. Has anyone else using 4.0 noticed this behavior?
newtstampede

Re: BCS 4.0 - Anyone using PID with electric elements?

Post by newtstampede »

I did notice that on my last brew but it kicked back on. I did notice when I had my auber PID panel it would shut off about 15 degrees low for about 15 seconds and then start the PID cycling to bring it up to the setpoint.
crane

Post by crane »

Yes I noticed this as well.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

not familiar with this exact issue, but similar learning experiences with other PIDs.

Some PIDs have a 'if you are x degrees away, go full on or full off' setting..

also, too low of an I setting can cause convergence issues...
crane

Post by crane »

For me the PID settings I used are the same as what I had in the 3.7.1 FW. With my settings the heating element will be on until after I reach the setpoint due to integral windup. This will cause my temp to overshoot a degree or 2, but thats fine for me. For the most part I got the same behavior in the 4.0 beta 2 FW, but once I had where it stopped firing the element 5-10 degrees below setpoint and never turned it back on. I can remember if stopping and starting the process got it to work or if I had to power cycle the BCS. The second time I saw this was when I first fired up the BCS and kicked off brew day. The element never turned on to heat the 65F water up to strike temp. Starting and stopping the process several times finally got it to fire the element.