BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Things to come.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Post by JonW »

Make sure you are using the 4.0 finder.

You can get the latest finder via the links in the 4.0 docs: http://docs.embeddedcc.com/
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

My recommendation would be to set the BCS to a static IP (must not be in the range that your router's DHCP server is assigning IPs). This is foolproof IMO, as you can always find the BCS by directly typing in the IP.

-BD
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

BrunDog wrote:My recommendation would be to set the BCS to a static IP (must not be in the range that your router's DHCP server is assigning IPs). This is foolproof IMO, as you can always find the BCS by directly typing in the IP.

-BD
Better yet is to set a DHCP reservation in your router. That way when you do firmware updates, it will always come back to the same IP even after your configuration has been cleared.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

Yes... that could work...

...damnit, stop one-upping me!

Kidding aside, this is a good idea, and I do have reservations for some other devices... I would recommend this for a new setup. BUT I am kinda old school and like that warm cozy feeling knowing I assigned the IP.

-BD
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

BrunDog wrote: BUT I am kinda old school and like that warm cozy feeling knowing I assigned the IP.
Believe me, I understand as that is how I did it for years and really is a non issue for experienced networking people (like you). The reason we don't advise it is that too many people actually mess up one of the settings and then their unit is unreachable unless they do a complete reset. Additionally, we've had several people setup a static IP, then move the BCS to another network that doesn't use the same net mask or install a new router that doesn't allocate the same DHCP scope, so then they can't talk to the BCS. There's just too many variables for inexperienced people to mess up and DHCP simplifies all that.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

True dat!

-BD
jayw

Post by jayw »

Jonw / Brumdog,

BrunDog wrote: My recommendation would be to set the BCS to a static IP (must not be in the range that your router's DHCP server is assigning IPs). This is foolproof IMO, as you can always find the BCS by directly typing in the IP.

Jonw wrote: Better yet is to set a DHCP reservation in your router. That way when you do firmware updates, it will always come back to the same IP even after your configuration has been cleared.

If I understand the above thread correctly, I need to change the DHCPv4 End Address to ***.***.*.199 instead of the .253 it ends at now. Assign a Static Address to the BCS-462 to ****.***.*.212, then go into router and allocate the same Ip Address in IP Allocation. Do I need to assign a Port on the BCS as well?

I have ATT's Motorola NVG(Not Very Good)589 . Everything I have tried will not let me bring up the BCS on my IPhone or my Security Cameras with WiFi turned off, or away from home. No problem as long as I'm on the Home Network.

Will this method will allow me to assign Static IP's to the Cameras as well and maybe I'll be able to monitor them when away from home also.

Or, is this network noob barking up the wrong tree?
Joe
Old Geezer

OldGeezerBrewery.com
When my system is 100% operational, I will start posting to this site again.
Kent

Post by Kent »

The Windows Firewall was off, I went into my router and turned its firewall off.
turned off my virus program
Did a 15 second reset.
Still the finder util can't find it.

I looked through the Westell router settings and didn't see anything about setting DHCP Reservation, but again, I am a network dummy and could easily be missing it.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Kent wrote:Still the finder util can't find it.
Which finder are you using? If you sent it to BH to reflash, then it is likely on 3.71 since 4.0 wasn't shipping yet. Are you using the original 3.x finder?

Also, if your BCS is getting a DHCP address from the router, you should be able to look up the address in the router.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

jayw wrote:If I understand the above thread correctly, I need to change the DHCPv4 End Address to ***.***.*.199 instead of the .253 it ends at now. Assign a Static Address to the BCS-462 to ****.***.*.212, then go into router and allocate the same Ip Address in IP Allocation. Do I need to assign a Port on the BCS as well?
You could change the DHCP range so that it doesn't allocate the whole subnet and that would give you free addresses to use for static assignment.

It appears that your router does have an IP assignment option on it. I would use that to set a permanent address to the BCS.
http://screenshots.portforward.com/rout ... cation.htm