Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Post by S. Parks »

How close is the non-Beta release?
mdunlop

Post by mdunlop »

brahn wrote:For information about version 4.0 and the public betas, please see the post announcing 4.0 Public Beta 1. All information included in that post is still relevant to this release.

Please Note: Public Beta 3 fixes a significant bug in the PID functionality in the earlier 4.0 builds. Please update to Public Beta 3 if you are using the PID mode.

Attached to this post is Public Beta 3 which has resolved the following issues from Public Beta 2:
  • Make process rename work if enter is pressed instead of tab. closes #181
  • Fix to allow placing wires in ladder logic. closes #180
  • Fix data validation error using decimals in setpoints. Closes #179
  • Do not trigger first state's alarm when starting process via main ui page. closes #183
  • Handle negative timer values in exit conditions. closes #184
  • Align subsections on settings page
  • Fix PID implementation. closes #185
  • Perform pseudo-oversampling on temperatures. Smoothes out temperature values and looks more like the values from 3.x.
  • Fixes for the temp setpoint adjust page. fixes #186
  • Move port setting so it is clear that it is not associated with using DHCP. closes #187
This build can be identified by the version number: 4.0.0 build 464d00f on the Settings page.

I'm wondering if someone would face time with me so I can show what's going on with my upgrade to 4.0. I'm trying to follow the instructions but I'm not sure how to work with the file server transfer. I have read everything and tried different Transfer file server software. The recommended server on this site doesn't seem to operate as easy as described. I know its something Im doing wrong.
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

A few tips--
Don't change the name of the .bin file at all. Keep it as: bcs460.bin
I save the hs_tftp_demo file for the application in the same folder as the .bin file.
I assume you're on windows so open a command prompt. You may find this on the Start menu or search for it (or hit the Windows Button + 'r' ) and type in cmd
Then, in the command prompt, type: ipconfig and hit enter
You'll see a few things scroll past in the window. Scroll up and find your IPv4 Address- that's the IP that you enter in the IP address box on the system settings page under the Firmware upgrade

It's been a while but I believe what you'll want to do is add that ip address to that box, then open the hs-ftp application and browse and select the bin file in the 'file to send or receive' section. Then hit send and then go back to the BCS settings page and hit the Upgrade button. It should give you an status on the ftp application.

If I weren't in the middle of a ferment using the BCS I'd confirm the last steps myself but I don't want to disrupt things.
mdunlop

Post by mdunlop »

I save the hs_tftp_demo file for the application in the same folder as the .bin file.
[/quote]

Thank you sooo much! The magic was having both the bin file and the FTFP server in the same folder. A small thing but made all the difference.
Have a great weekend.
Kent

Post by Kent »

I am using TFTPUtil GUI I had tried the one listed in the WIKI (BTW the links to it are dead in the wiki) but it kept getting errors on starting.
Anyhow everything looks fine, the Util reads the Bin and when I hit UPGRADE in BCS The util shows it is sending it, but then Chrome goes to This Webpage is not availible. It eventually reloads, but shows the old build numbers still.

Any Ideas of what I might be doing wrong?
Kent

Post by Kent »

It is worse now. Not sure if I bricked it or what. I had tried a couple more times and it did the same thing, except the last time it never came back.

BCS finder couldn't find it. When that had happened once before, I had to pull it out of the cabinet, and hook it directly to my router to get a new DHCP address. I am trying that now and still nothing. I also noticed there is no light by the cable, and I seem to remember it used to have one. I checked the voltage on the power adapter, and it is just above 6 volts.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What type of connection were you using for doing the update? It is possible a partial/failed update could brick it. It can be reflashed at Brewers Hardware via direct connection if it is bricked.
Kent

Post by Kent »

It was connected thorough a wireless bridge.
I am looking at brewers hardware, but don't see anything. Do I need to send him an email or something to direct connect?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You have to send it to BH to have a directly connected ISP (in-system programming) flash performed. This is how they're flashed after manufacturing. You can call them, e-mail them, or just ship it to them with a note in the box explaining the issue.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I am using 4.0.0 build 464d00f

When I went to the Temperature Setpoint Adjust page, I tried to enter a decimal number in the spinner box. It threw an error with a pop up thelling me that it was not valid. I can set a decimal in the Process Editor Page without any issues.
02_TSA.png
02_TSA.png (33.86 KiB) Viewed 5413 times