BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Things to come.
gimbo
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Post by gimbo »

Any idea when the non beta will be released ?
brahn

Post by brahn »

Ryanryates

Post by Ryanryates »

brahn wrote:This was answered here: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... 9823#p9823
Good to hear - eagerly awaiting the upcoming final release. Thanks for all of the hard work.
jayw

Post by jayw »

My first post here, I have a BCS462 installed in my control panel. After resolving some health issues this year, both knees replaced, I'm now ready to get my system up and running with the new BCS460.bin firmware.

After a few failed attempts, I finally succeed this afternoon. However the new version changed the IP address I had set into the settings by disabling the DHCP and typing in a number I wanted to use and would not be changed on occasion by the DHCP.

No problem, just go through the same steps within the Settings and all will be good to go. Wrong :(, I can no longer access the 462 at all.

Attempted to hard reset, and connect using 169.254.0.63, no joy.

Even with the Network cable connected and then the power supply, orange LED solid and green LED flashing when I attempt to connect. I see by looking at my router device list, it indicates the BCS462 is off. Even removed 462 from panel and connect directly to my router, still tells me it is not on.

Any ideas what my next step should be, anyone?

Jayw

Joe
Joe
Old Geezer

OldGeezerBrewery.com
When my system is 100% operational, I will start posting to this site again.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

jayw wrote:Any ideas what my next step should be, anyone?
Welcome Joe. When updating firmware, the BCS resets to DHCP mode. The best way to set it up is to create a DHCP reservation in your router so that any time the configuration is reset or you update firmware, it will always come back to the same address.

It should have grabbed a DHCP address from your router. Have you tried the Finder utility? Note that you need to be using the new 4.0 finder.
jayw

Post by jayw »

Thanks for the quick response.

Used Finder for 4.0, it tells me the IP Address for the 462 is 192.168.0.68. My network is ***.***1.64 thru 253.

When I attempted to disable the DHCP from the Settings area of the user interface by disabling the DHCP and typing in a Static IP, it was typed in as ***.***1.202, not even close to what the Ip is now.

When I found I could not connect to the 462, I attempted to Hard Reset the 462. Is it possible it did not completely reset. if I did not hold the reset button down long enough?

Even with being able to scan the network for the 462 Ip address with Finder, it is not shown on the Router Device list.

Thanks you for your help.

Joe
Joe
Old Geezer

OldGeezerBrewery.com
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The previous address you set is irrelevant at this point since that is cleared via the firmware update. If finder says it is at 192.168.0.68, then it looks like you probably did a 30 second reset - which sets that address. ( http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Hard_Reset )

If you do a 10 second reset, you should get a DHCP address from your router.
jayw

Post by jayw »

Jon,

Thanks, there is :D in the Old Geezer Brewery this morning. Your last response pointed me in the right direction. I'm connected, the build showing in settings is the latest one... 4.0.0 build 464d00f.

I will now Router allocate the Ip Address of the controller and the Extender so DHCP never changes them. Now to get Port Forwarding up and running so I can access the BCS462 from my Cell Phone when off the local network.
Joe
Old Geezer

OldGeezerBrewery.com
Kent

Post by Kent »

As posted earlier here, when I had tried to update the firmware, my BCS bricked. I sent it to Brewers hardware, and they re-flashed it and sent it back. I am finally getting around to hooking it back up, and even though it has the steady white light and occasional blinking green lights (which weren't working when it was bricked) the finder utility can't find it.

I tried a 10 second reset, and a 20 second reset (I think... the hole on my case is drilled off a little and it is really hard to tell if you are actually hitting the reset button. Plus when it is installed in my cabinet getting to the reset hole is near impossible. )
I then tried direct connect, and turned off my intranet access, and set the default ip address as described in the wiki.
Still the Finder wouldn't find it, and I tried both a 10 second and a 20 second reset there also.

Any suggestions on what to do now.

When this thing is up and running I really like it. I wish there were a few changes on the main page like a larger timer display etc. but no huge complaints on the program.

But not being a network guru it seems like I have problems any time do anything other than a simple brew with it. Man I wish this was a simple windows program that hooked up via usb. Then you would have something special.

Anyhow I have the box back out of the main enclosure so I can be a little more sure I am hitting the reset. I am considering pulling the end plate off so I can be positive, but other than that I am stuck.

Thanks
brahn

Post by brahn »

The 20/30s reset options have been removed starting in the 4.0 final release version. The only reset I would ever recommend is the 10s reset (I aim for 15 to be sure).

The finder app can be blocked by firewall applications running on your PC, you may need to disable those in order for the finder to work. Getting any kind of direct connect to work is very difficult and I would only recommend it for people with advanced networking knowledge. The defaults using DHCP is by far the easiest way to connect to it.

From here, I would try the 10s reset, make sure all the firewall apps on your PC are turned off, then try the Finder. If that doesn't work, then we can recommend some other ways to find the BCS.