BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0 Public Beta 3

Post by brahn »

If the only thing that changed was moving the BCS from being connected directly to the router to being connected directly to the bridge, it is most likely an issue with the bridge. Even without a DHCP reservation, the router should assign the same DHCP address to the BCS if it's reconnected within a short window.

You can always try counting up through the available DHCP addresses that the router gives out and trying each one in your browser, but obviously that's a real pain.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks again Jon,

Frustrating. The bridge worked fine before the BCS bricked. The lights on it are all lit. Not real sure of how to do any more testing on it to be sure.

I just tried every IP address from .10 to .50 and nothing worked.

It is about 50' from the house to the garage. If I was to run Cat 5 cable it would probably end up being ~80' worth. What would I need to split the cable out to the BCS and the 2 other computers I have out here? Would I need a repeater or some sort of simple splutter or??
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

If you did run a cable, you could put a switch out at the other end to handle multiple PC's and the BCS.

Did you state here somewhere what bridge you are using? Must be a config issue there that you can change. I agree with Brent's statement also about moving it to the garage and it should still be using the same IP it just had when you were running it in the house. If it isn't working at that address, then there is definitely something going on with your bridge that is stopping traffic. Almost sounds like it is firewalling connections. Can you access the garage PC's from the house? Can the garage PC's access the internet and house computers? If the garage computers can access everything outside the garage but nothing outside the garage can access the garage computers, then it is a firewall issue. Have you verified that the garage PC's are getting DHCP addresses from the house router?
Kent

Post by Kent »

It is a us Robotics Bridge usr5432. doing some research on it, I see it only takes 5 seconds on the reset button to put it back to factory defaults so I am guessing that is what happened. Now to see if I can figure out how to get it set back up the way I want.

I hate networks :(
brahn

Post by brahn »

He did Jon, this is the bridge: http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-prod- ... &prod=5432

It doesn't have any kind of firewall, but the "bridge" mode would most likely block UDP traffic. It looks like it only has 1 ethernet port, so how are the other devices in the garage connected to the network?
Kent

Post by Kent »

The other devices have their own wireless receivers.

So do I want it set as ad hoc or bridge
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Kent wrote:The other devices have their own wireless receivers.

So do I want it set as ad hoc or bridge
Neither. I think you'd want to do Infrastructure/Client mode. If you were going to hang a switch off of it to support the other computers, then bridge mode, but for only the BCS, you should try the infrastructure/client mode.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks to both of you. I finally got it going. I was just about to give up, but then I noticed somewhere along the line it had changed from WEP to WPA or something like that. Once I set that back to WEP, I could see the bridge after unplugging it from the modem. and then of course I could see the BCS.

I don't envy you guys having to deal with network dummys like myself, but then it isn't much fun on this end either.

Make a USB version and I will be one of the first in line. I don't run it using anything but the computers directly connected to the network, and I could always use team viewer or something like that if I wanted to work on the settings from in the house.

Anyhow, all the help is much appreciated. and I have to say brewers hardware treated me well also.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Glad you got it working. :)
jayw

Post by jayw »

JonW,

Thanks for your reply to my question. Yes, I knew that the Motorola NVG(Not Very Good) 589 has an IP Allocation area, which I had been using to set the IP to my preferred IP for the BCS462, Just so happens yesterday evening I let the Router start assigning IP's from the DHCP pool again. However, that does nothing for having the ability to access the BCS462 when away from home by iPhone or Tablet.

I've attempted to set up a Custom Services under NAT/Gaming area of the Router. That didn't work. They have a IP Passthrough area which does not work. Called ATT, had tech on property for 4 hours, he accomplished nothing. Talking to one of his supervisors I was told that to do what I wanted would create additional monthly charges. No way, I'm already paying them way too much for the poor service they provide. Plus, since they installed that piece of junk they call a gateway, I've not been able to get my security cameras to work. They will be losing a customer very soon..

Then to top off all of that frustration, I managed to brick my BCS462 while attempting to upgrade to Ver. 4.0.0. Everything looked good, followed the steps laid out by Brumdog in an early post. File was accepted, went to Router device list to find what IP it was assigned and found (99.132.176.67) which I thought was strange since that is my Public IP on my router, why would it assign my Public IP to the unit?

Changed IP it in my Settings to my preferred IP and while doing so I noticed the build # had not changed. So I attempt to upgrade again, same results it continued to reset to my Public IP, after a couple of attempts I bricked the unit. Probably by not noticing that I already had an TFTP client already open and opened another, as a consequence, no more flashing LED's on the BCS462 when powering up and connect network cable and course no connection.

Called Brewer's Hardware and unit is now on its way to them to check and upgrade.

No joy today for the Old Geezer.
Joe
Old Geezer

OldGeezerBrewery.com
When my system is 100% operational, I will start posting to this site again.