easier way to view exit conditions on main page?

Things to come.
Baron Ken
Bot?: No

Re: easier way to view exit conditions on main page?

Post by Baron Ken »

But does the output UI element know which process/state(s) is/are controlling it? Or does it just get updated based on reading from the BCS (through polling or however) whether or not the output is on?
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

I just saw this in the Dream UI thread:
A setpoint value is established at a specific Process/State/Output:
- Multiple process/state/outputs could be trying to assert an output & setpoint simultaneously and only the highest priority process/state/output will actually be used.
- When needing to adjust a setpoint, the actual process/state/output that is currently controlling the setpoint is where the new setpoint must be written, thus changing the current stored value of the process/state/output. What if you also have exit conditions tied to the setpoint value?
So, only the highest priority process/state controls the output? Which is highest? By Process number?

So, having the info/adjustment controls in the output section would work if only 1 process/state is affecting it.

Correct?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Baron Ken wrote:But does the output UI element know which process/state(s) is/are controlling it? Or does it just get updated based on reading from the BCS (through polling or however) whether or not the output is on?
The UI gets updated via polling. Currently the API is only replying on/off for the outputs. Brent and I have been discussing enhancements to the API to return back "who" the controlling process/state is of an output so that we can more easily write back duty cycle or temperature setpoint values. The architecture doesn't allow on-the-fly adjustments. Instead, those values must be written back to the actual process/state programming to be effective.

One point to make with this also.... Unlike the 3.x series firmware, the 4.x web UI is completely driven from the API.

Baron Ken wrote:So, only the highest priority process/state controls the output? Which is highest? By Process number?
Correct.
Baron Ken wrote:So, having the info/adjustment controls in the output section would work if only 1 process/state is affecting it.
No, with an enhancement to the API, you will be able to easily see "who" is actually controlling the output. Currently, you would have to query the API and iterate through the (running) process/states to figure it out. The update to the API will give you an easy route to know "who".
brahn

Post by brahn »

Baron Ken wrote:I just saw this in the Dream UI thread:

So, having the info/adjustment controls in the output section would work if only 1 process/state is affecting it.

Correct?
The output section it just where it would go in the UI, the change would obviously be made to the process/state. In one sense I like putting it in the process/state because it makes that explicit. However, what happens if you do have 2 states specifying a duty cycle? You could be changing the lower numbered one and nothing would ever happen until the higher numbered process stopped/changed state. Putting it in the output lets us change whichever state is currently controlling the output.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Look great!

As far as the Duty Cycle on the main page:

From my Dream UI Thread (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2754) where I was thinking Out Setpoint Adjustment on the Main Control Panel:

On Oct 13 Jon:
"Some things to consider:

A single temp probe may have multiple outputs and setpoints being activated against it. e.g. a kettle with two heating elements or a fermenter with a heater and chiller. How do you reference a single setpoint on the temperature gauge to accommodate more than one active output/setpoint?

A setpoint value is established at a specific Process/State/Output:
- Multiple process/state/outputs could be trying to assert an output & setpoint simultaneously and only the highest priority process/state/output will actually be used.
- When needing to adjust a setpoint, the actual process/state/output that is currently controlling the setpoint is where the new setpoint must be written, thus changing the current stored value of the process/state/output. What if you also have exit conditions tied to the setpoint value?”
If you put a Duty Cycle Adjustment on the Main Control Panel with just an “out”, you could have the same issue as the Setpoints if you had more than one Process Trying to assert an Out with Duty Cycle. Which one would you be updating?
I would love some method of setting either the Duty Cycle or the Setpoints on the Main Control Panel. If you could do it like Baron Keen has shown in his response just above, you could have the Setpoint and the Duty Cycle on the Main Control Panel and it is associated with the Active State in that Active Process.
Maybe a way of saving some screen space is only have those States that are in Next State of Exit Conditions be shown. In many cases then you would have the Active State and a maximum of 4 additional States. I think generally it would be two (Active State and the Next State where you only have one)

Here is a mock up of yours and Baron Keens combined with my Active and Next State only.
c.png
c.png (26.74 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
Since you no longer have the Web Buttons and they were somewhat replaced by being able to jump to a State by clicking on it in the Proccess Display, you would only be able to jump to the Next States shown. On Processes that were not Active and displayed Always, all states would be shown as now and you could jump to any of those States
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

JonW wrote:...Brent and I have been discussing enhancements to the API to return back "who" the controlling process/state is of an output so that we can more easily write back duty cycle or temperature setpoint values.
Sounds good.
brahn wrote:The output section it just where it would go in the UI, the change would obviously be made to the process/state. In one sense I like putting it in the process/state because it makes that explicit. However, what happens if you do have 2 states specifying a duty cycle? You could be changing the lower numbered one and nothing would ever happen until the higher numbered process stopped/changed state. Putting it in the output lets us change whichever state is currently controlling the output.
Do you have any vision of how you will have the info/adjustments in the output section? Until now, the output section has been an 'indicator' section, giving a quick visual to the status of the outputs and the ability to turn them on or off (if not controlled by a state).
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

Here's a quick mockup. Note that since I used the same element for the output for the additional information, the whole element turned green when the output was on. A better design than this would be needed, LOL. But hey, I just did some quick edits to the HTML for mockup purposes. ;)
EDIT: It may be redundant to have the state in the output info area. Having the process alone may be sufficient since there is only one state active in the process. However, if you have a process that is hidden, having the state in the output info area would be useful. :ugeek:
Last edited by Baron Ken on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

Also note that the output indicators go on and off based on the output. Having the output info/adjustments flash on and off during the duty cycle would:
1) possibly (probably) be distracting
2) possibly be difficult to actually make an adjustment
brahn

Post by brahn »

Did you post an image? I'm not seeing it.

Good point about the output indicators on duty cycle. The UI may update slow enough that it's not an issue, it'll probably take some testing to see.
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

brahn wrote:Did you post an image? I'm not seeing it.

Good point about the output indicators on duty cycle. The UI may update slow enough that it's not an issue, it'll probably take some testing to see.
Yes, image is 2 posts above yours (http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... ead#p10365).