Dream UI

Things to come.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Dream UI

Post by oakbarn »

The new interface is much easier to use but I also miss the Exit Conditions:

This is my Dream UI:

I will be making several Posts here as I have thought about it quite a bit.

I know nothing about JavaScript so I do not know the memory requirements but I am sure some of these suggestions could be implemented in future Firmware updates.

First Suggestion (well 4):

1. Editable Setpoints on the Temp Gauges. This would replace the Temp Setpoint Adjustment Page which could be deleted. Simply have the Setpoint displayed on the Main Control Panel in an editable box on all types of Temperature Gauges.
2. Have ALL Digital Setpoints Green on ALL Temperature Gauge Types.
3. Have ALL Digital Temperatures Red on ALL Temperature Gauge Types
4. Get rid of redundant info on gauges with Standard Color Coding.
1.png
1.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
oakbarn

Re: Dream UI

Post by oakbarn »

Duty Cycle:

5. Associate a Duty Cycle with a Temp Probe and have the Setpoint displayed on the Temperature Gauge. (I know that the Duty Cycle will not be affected by the Temperature Probe. Associate so that you can have the Setpoint Displayed on the Main Control Panel in a “Normal” manner for Setpoints. Make that Setpoint editable on the Main Control Panel.
a. Associate a Temp Probe when selecting Duty Cycle in the Process Editor.
5a.png
5a.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
b. Have the Duty Cycle Setpoint displayed on the Main Control Panel in an editable box on all types of Temperature Gauges.
5b.png
5b.png (36.3 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Lots of good suggestions. We'll review them as changes are planned for updates in these areas.

I will tell you that doing temperature setpoint adjustments and duty cycle are a lot more complicated than most people think. It really has nothing to do with putting a setpoint box on the actual temperature control (dial/box), but has to do with the underlying logic of what process/state/output is driving the current setpoint.

Some things to consider:

A single temp probe may have multiple outputs and setpoints being activated against it. e.g. a kettle with two heating elements or a fermenter with a heater and chiller. How do you reference a single setpoint on the temperature gauge to accommodate more than one active output/setpoint?

A setpoint value is established at a specific Process/State/Output:
- Multiple process/state/outputs could be trying to assert an output & setpoint simultaneously and only the highest priority process/state/output will actually be used.
- When needing to adjust a setpoint, the actual process/state/output that is currently controlling the setpoint is where the new setpoint must be written, thus changing the current stored value of the process/state/output. What if you also have exit conditions tied to the setpoint value?

A duty cycle controlled output has no correlation to a temperature probe since it is not temperature based. Placing the editing capability of that output on the temperature probe creates inconsistent logic with the way outputs and temperature probes work.

We are actively discussing ideas for how to incorporate setpoints into the main display screen, but as you can see from some of the examples above, that is why there currently exists a separate "Temp Setpoint Adjust" screen. For now, another option is to use the recipe utility and keep that page open in another tab of your browser. You can quickly change your temperature there and it will update the active process/state/output.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Never considered 2 or more outs controlled by one probe as I only have one. Maybe a a Check Box in Prcocess Editor so that is the one controlled on Main Control Panel. I find that I am alsways messing with mt "Raditor" temp to maintain a Mash Temp. I have a modified Herms system where I use an Chinzalla to maitain Mash. I have a hot water element in a small 9 gal Stout BK that supplies the hot water in the outer tube. I tried to control the "Radiator" by my "MLT Tee In" but that does not work well for some reason. If I control the "Radiator" by the probe that is in it, I generally keep the temp 4 degrees above what I want in the "MLT Tee In" probe. I am not sure why it works better but it does. That is the Temp I normally am adjusting plus or minus 1 degree. After about 30 miniutes I have 3 probes in my Mash Tun that all read the same: "MLT Tee in", "MLT Body" and "MLT Tee Our". It is amazing how well the PID function keeps my temp in my Mash Tun, We had Aubrins PIDs and I was always chasing my Mash Temp. The BCS is right on. :D
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

oakbarn wrote:The new interface is much easier to use but I also miss the Exit Conditions:

Amen!

initial thoughts:

Temp exit condition -
dials - colored arrow (other than red or green) optionally on outside of the dial
digital - if no setpoint, put exit temp in a color other than red or green

Time exit condition -
an analog or digital clock in the theme of the temp displays

Input based exit condition - text block - "exit on Din0"
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have been messing around with with the Process Editor and while the new interface is much better, I think the layout needs to be more conductive to flow. There are some confusing things and I would like it a little more compact.
I made a mockup of my "dream" :lol: .

1. Move the Editable Timer Names above the State Line in the Process Editor Pane. Have the Timer names be under the State Pane in their own pane, but names not editable there. It is somewhat confusing that you can change them in one State thinking they are unique to State when they are not. Timer Names are by Process.
2. Just Have the State Name as it is now but move other items out of that State Pane (see below)
3. Output Control (Configurable) and Ramp Mode combined. Name changed to Output Control (PWM)
4. Have the Start End and Times only appear when Ramp is enabled OR get rid of enabled Checkbox and have those pop up anytime Ramp is selected in any the Dropdown Menu Listbox which would now have Cool/Heat/Ramp as choices. When Ramp is chosen, the Setpoint is Grey but has the word Ramp displayed.
5. Output Control (Direct on/Off) changed from Dropdown Menu Listbox to Radio buttons making them the same in Output Control (Configurable). I got rid of the Enable Checkbox because I am not sure what use it is. I would think that un-Enabled would also mean Off anyway. Perhaps because of Process Hierarchy the Enabled Checkbox may be needed?
6. Registers have their own Pane. I found it confusing when they were with the Start or Stop Process because of the way they work. The Start and Stop Process happen on Exit. The Registers are by the running State. BTW, if you ever wished for a State Widget in Ladder Logic, this is it!
7. There is an Exit Pane and All Things associated with the On Exit can be found here. The Alarm, Send Email on Alarm, and the Start and Stop Processes are all here.
a. I have never been able to get my Send email on Alarm to work (verizon Fios Blocks port) so I really do not know how it works. Should it really be “Send email on Exit” or do you have to have a Short or Loop Alarm?
Process.png
Process.png (222.03 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
brahn

Post by brahn »

Interesting suggestions. For now I just want to comment on your questions about the current functionality.
oakbarn wrote: 5. Output Control (Direct on/Off) changed from Dropdown Menu Listbox to Radio buttons making them the same in Output Control (Configurable). I got rid of the Enable Checkbox because I am not sure what use it is. I would think that un-Enabled would also mean Off anyway. Perhaps because of Process Hierarchy the Enabled Checkbox may be needed?
Enabled is actually quite important in this context. It means that the state is forcing the output either on or off. Not enabled means the state will not do anything with that output, meaning you could turn it on manually or in another process.
oakbarn wrote: a. I have never been able to get my Send email on Alarm to work (verizon Fios Blocks port) so I really do not know how it works. Should it really be “Send email on Exit” or do you have to have a Short or Loop Alarm?
You have to have an alarm for the email to work. But your issue is a very common one, this is something we're working on.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

New Mockup with the Enable Checkbox back in Outputs (Direct On/Off)
Process_1.png
Process_1.png (223.71 KiB) Viewed 7379 times