Post DIN

Things to come.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Post DIN

Post by JonW »

brahn wrote:The request is to modify the BCS API to allow a DIN to be asserted through software. This creates a conflict with the physical DIN. You bring up a good point with the registers. I could see adding an API for registers and allowing them to be controlled via the API, though they may be overwritten by ladder logic/state/etc. I'd need to think about this some more to see if it would raise any issues.
Having registers in the API would be beneficial. I was looking at using them for some multi-BCS coordination.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Yes, you can do everything I want now with the new UI of clicking the State on the UI or Clicking the DIN Physical switch. The issue is one of "metal" capacity. I have only "half a brain" (and pictures to prove it), so my short term memory is something of an issue. I use the DIN as an Exit Condition to Jump to a specific state. I generally have State 1 follow State 0, State 2 follow State 1, and so on, but in some Exits I jump to another State that does not numerically follow. When planning, this is easy. When brewing, I cannot always remember my preplanned State Jump. If I had a button to push on the UI or a touch screen, it would just work for me in my logic without having to think.

I never really got my Processes down until I got ver 4.0. The old UI (3.7.1) was difficult for me to visulize my Process. The 4.0 makes it graphicllyt easy for the most part if one State follows another.

It is similar in a way to the Large Single Temp Guage. When I am Mashing or transferring Cooled Wort to my fermentor, I care only about ONE temp. Having it displayed via the API is very handy for me. It might not be for anyone else, but it works for me. You can have a Single Temp Displayed on the UI via Settings, but that requires yo to go into Settings while Brewing and set it up and still too small to read from accross the room. Much easier to use the API to display a large single guage.

Mute point :D regardless since it will not work like requesting RTD Probes. Not physically possible at this time.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I would like you to rethink an API for this. I use 4 DINs to do things on a Brew Day. With the Alexa Voice Control, it would really be cool to be able to command by DIN.

As an Example I have many of my Exit Conditions to exit on DIN 4 : Labeled :" Next State" ON. (Momentary)

When I flip my "Next State" switch, it advances to my Next State in the exit Condition. I use this on a lot of exits.

I rarely go to the computer UI as I use either Time, Temperature or a DIN On to exit a State. I have my Processes set so that I can do a whole Brew without touching my computer which I leave in another room. I have the UI cast to a Large Screen TV so I can see where I am, but do not use the UI except to fiddle with setpoints with the Temp Setpoint Adjusment screen once in a while. With the Alexa Voice Control, that could go away as well.

I also have another DIN named BDA (Brew Day Advance which does the same thing but also exits my Brew Day Process.

I see that I can setup a Custom_XYZ Alexa Command to do the same, but each one would have its own "Friendly name." and I could just not say
"Alexa, Turn On Next State" or "Alexa, Brew Day Advance". Each would have to be specific.

It would also create a way for a Virtual Din on the BBRalley HMI GUI.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have thought of a solution I will try. It involves an echo enabled switch like a Wemo Belkin switch
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

If you had a spare output, you could wire it to an input to achieve the same thing.

Having the option to trigger a DIN via API and/or Web UI is still not out of the question. It has been discussed.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

JonW wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm
If you had a spare output, you could wire it to an input to achieve the same thing.
I am willing to try this solution. Do I just jumper the Out to the DIN on the BCS. Can I still have my toggle switch in the loop?
DIN Out.png
DIN Out.png (36.27 KiB) Viewed 28402 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 pm
I am willing to try this solution. Do I just jumper the Out to the DIN on the BCS. Can I still have my toggle switch in the loop?
Yes, just like you have it shown. Ideally, you'd want a diode in there to prevent reverse flow into the output, but I don't see any issue with it.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Thanks. I am not an electronics guy but I thought it might need a diode. What size is good?