BCS 4.0.1 firmware released

Things to come.
jimg@gsp
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 4.0.1 firmware released

Post by jimg@gsp »

Hello,

I have not performed any updates in the past. My current version is BCS-462 3.7.1.

I have saved all current processes and setting. I have downloaded the .bin file.

I have installed a working TFTP application for MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite.

Do I need to install BCS-460 4.0 prior to 4.0.1?

I can't seem to locate any installation instructions. although I am sure they are here somewhere. Please inform me as to where that is.

Thank you,

Jim
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Disregard previous request......found it.

Will attempt update.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

BCS-462 3.7.1 to 4.0.1 update was successful on MacBook Pro.

Restoration of settings and processes does not work. Nothing seems to happen.

Please advise.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Ignore......System Reset corrected problem.

3x migration of settings and processes worked flawlessly.
VacationLand

Post by VacationLand »

Hello. I was hoping I could get some clarification. The file linked in the original post provides the following information when it is loaded onto a BCS-460. Is this the most recent or is there another link to the v 4.0.1 floating around that I cannot find?

4.0.0 build ec24318
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The one linked in post #1 of this thread is 4.0.1. If yours is coming up as 4.0.0, then your new download of 4.0.1 likely was auto-renamed when you downloaded it due to the 4.0.0 one being present.
VacationLand

Post by VacationLand »

I will downoad it again and give it another go. Thanks.
mavantix

Post by mavantix »

I might be the last user on earth to get around to upgrading to 4.x. The beta upgrade failures scared me off and I left well enough alone. ... so, now that it must be stable? is it OK to upgrade? What's the proper process to preserve all my 3.x configs exactly as there are? Anything other than HMI I loose? Coefficients? Anything else I need to know before I take the plunge?
brahn

Post by brahn »

Well, I would say it's stable and time to upgrade...

First things first, back up everything from your BCS. The system config and all the processes. With that config, you can always revert back to 3.7 if you're not happy with 4.0. Coefficients are still around, no HMI, no Web Inputs (but the new interface makes web inputs irrelevant, IMO).

There is a configuration migrator utility, once you've done the firmware upgrade go to this site and point it to your BCS running 4.0:

http://embeddedcc.github.io/bcs-config-migrator/

Then start loading each of the config files that you saved from the BCS running 3.7. It will know the difference between the system config and the processes, just start loading them one by one. IIRC the migration utility doesn't restore authentication options, so you'd need to do that manually if you use authentication. Double check your settings after the migration just in case there was a problem. Then, click the Backup/Restore Tab on the utilities page and make a backup of your new 4.0 config!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Once you upgrade to 4.x you're going to wonder why you waited so long. Beta was beta - it's there to shake out issues. BCS 4.x series has been very stable since the release (non-early-beta). The interface is so much faster and easier to see at a glance what you whole system is doing across processes/states. I don't think you'll be disappointed.