BCS Virtual Machine

Things to come.
odd13ryan
Bot?: No

BCS Virtual Machine

Post by odd13ryan »

As a brewery that uses multiple BCS-462s for temp control on our beers and a custom UI to interact with all of them at once
I would like to be able to run a simulated BCS on my laptop
So that I don't have to either mess around with the BCS that is controlling the glycol system that is actually fermenting beer or buy a separate BCS just to mess with the programming

Also important: given that the number of tanks I can run on a BCS-462 is limited by the number of inputs, I'd like to be able to run multiple such VMs on different ports. Running multiple BCS-462s on different ports and writing a single screen to aggregate and control them is exactly how I plan to support more tanks than the temp probes on a single BCS could support.

I realize this feature request is a total longshot, but I am fully bought into the BCS as a super legit device for doing the things that we as professional brewers need to do. If I need to buy 2 more BCS-462s just to test my changes, I might consider it. But this would be a super cool way to develop features that could be used reliably at a larger scale than homebrew.
brahn
Bot?: No

Re: BCS Virtual Machine

Post by brahn »

I've considered this to aid in testing the UI but it's never been worth the effort to do the virtualization. It should be possible using QEMU, they support the processor but it requires creating a source file in QEMU that defines all the other hardware components and the pinout. That's about as far as I've gone with it.