BCS 4.1.1 Firmware Released

Things to come.
brahn
Bot?: No

BCS 4.1.1 Firmware Released

Post by brahn »

The BCS firmware has been updated to 4.1.1 (build 429194c1).

This is a bugfix release from 4.1.0 to fix an issue with PID outputs not working properly. If coming from an older version, please see the linked post for 4.1.0 to see what's new.

This does not address the lack of negative temperatures.
Attachments
bcs460.bin
(176.16 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
paszekj

Re: BCS 4.1.1 Firmware Released

Post by paszekj »

I have a 462 that's a few years old (brewery build took a LONG time) with firmware version 3.7.0. After some trial & error, I was able to set up my BCS as a wireless client on my network. It doesn't show up when I use a BCS Finder utility but I was able to hack into my router and find it's IP address. I've downloaded the 4.1.1 firmware update but can't seem to figure out where to go from there. I did download a TFTP program (Tftpserver) and set up the working permissions by following this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/TZMxjHls8A8.

I can't seem to figure out where to go from there. I'll admit I'm not the most IT savvy but can usually stumble through things by following directions. I have a MacBook air with MacOS Sierra. I'd prefer to do it wirelessly if possible as my MacBook doesn't have an ethernet port but I could get an adaptor if it needs to be done via ethernet. Many thanks!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Many wireless bridges block UDP datagrams on your network which is likely why you couldn't find the BCS. It is highly suggested that you plug your BCS directly into your router for flashing the firmware. Also note that there is a new finder utility that must be used with 4.x series firmware.
paszekj

Post by paszekj »

I may have misspoke. I have a wireless router that I added to my home network as a wireless client for the BCS. The BCS is wired to the router client via ethernet. I can find the BCS interface on my browser by typing it's IP address into my browser. I see under "System Settings" the "[+] Firmware Update" option. When I expand that menu and click on the "Firmware Update Mode" button, it asks me for the IP address of the computer that will host the firmware update. I entered the IP address of my computer with the firmware update but I lose my wireless connection with the BCS. Should I be directly connecting my computer to the BCS via ethernet to run the firmware update?
'
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Let me repeat: Many wireless bridges block UDP datagrams on your network which is likely why you couldn't find the BCS.

Just because you're using a "router" as the wireless client, doesn't change anything. The BCS should be plugged into the same router that your MacBook Air is connecting to - not over a wireless link. Do a google search for something like "wireless bridge blocks udp" and you'll see that this is a common issue for bridges and udp packets. Do not direct connect the BCS to your computer - that is an advanced method of communication and is in no way a "plug and play" method.
paszekj

Post by paszekj »

I have the BCS directly connected to my router & it shows up properly when I type the IP address into my browser. I have downloaded and installed TFTPserver. I've downloaded the attachment for the 4.1.1 firmware upgrade from the link above. How to I use the TFTP server to transfer the upgrade file to my BCS? I've been looking through tutorials online but can't seem to find one that pertains to this program. Thanks.
jward

Post by jward »

The URL in the help/? links that turn on when you "toggle help" have 4.1.0 in the URL path and give a 404 error.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

4.1.2 will be out shortly. We'll make sure the links get updated for that.
paszekj

Post by paszekj »

Finally! I got it figured out! I set up 3.5.1 using Jcc4507fly's instructions in this link: https://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic. ... 179#p10179 and using the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/TZMxjHls8A8.
Here's where I was having problems. I followed all the directions to the letter, but couldn't get the TFTP server to "Start."
I don't know why, but my problem was with the folder that TFTP recommends you use to store the files: /private/tftpboot. For some reason, putting the upgrade file in this folder wouldn't allow the server to start. I created a new folder on my desktop titled "BCS" and put the text editor placeholder and the BCS460.bin file in that and changed the pathway in TFTPserver to that folder, then entered the IP address of my BCS and entered firmware upgrade mode and it was successful. I'll post this as a new topic and hopefully it will be helpful to others.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

How damn hard is it to put a warning in the firmware upgrade section to let you know your recently modified config will be wiped the hell out??? really?????